Using jojoba oil

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

karenbeth

Reaction score
I have an opportunity to buy some jojoba oil at a discounted price but it's use by date is on June. Will it still be ok to use in soap or will the short date cause dos. Any input on using jojoba would be appreciated

I just bought some jojoba oil so this got me curious. When I check the jug I just ordered, it does not have a use by date on it nor does it have a manufactured on date. So I got to checking some online sources and found a page that has shelf life of carrier oils (see link below if interested). They say refrigeration will extend the freshness of the oil and say that jojoba has a 5 year shelf life. Personally I would base my decision upon the situation and the cost and weigh it out. If I were buying it for personal use and it was really discounted and it was a sealed unopened container I would probably indulge in it depending upon where and how it had been stored. If I were buying it for the business and planned on reselling product I used it in or if it were someone selling off unused supplies and it was a partial container I wouldn't even consider it. And by really discounted, I would be looking for 75% savings or more over what I could buy it for as it simply isn't worth taking a chance to only save a small percentage.

http://www.gardenofwisdom.com/carrieroils.html

lsg, how much vitamin E do you add ppo? I have recently added another refrigerator just for soaps so refrigeration is not a problem at this time

That odd. I've never heard of Jojoba having a shelf life because it's actually a liquid wax as apposed to an oil. Every resource I've ever read says the same thing "shelf life indefinite"

I agree, Anani, but I also know "indefinite" is not the same as "forever". And as expensive as jojoba is, I'd err on the side of caution.

I only make soap for family and friends. So, I don't go through oils very fast. I store my less used and more expensive oils in the freezer. No need wasting money.

Thanks for the responses. It is a 70% discount. Here in Australia I think regulations say you have to have a use by date on just about anything. ISG I'll add some vit e. Thanks for the tip.

Latest posts

Back