Using jewel weed in soap

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

country gal

Reaction score
I made a strong "tea" with jewel weed in hopes of making soap for poison ivy or soap for just plain skin irritations. I have had some problems with my computer crashing and have lost the info I had on it. Of course I can't find it again!! I tried searching on the forum but I am not coming up with anything.
I take that back, I did see something about a low superfat because you want a drying effect for poison ivy.
My Question(s) is/are: should you use any specific type of oils or butters. You probably wouldn't want to use anything that would draw in moisture for poison ivy, but if you were making for plain skin irritations or allergies would you want moisture qualities and would you sf low for this use?
I love computers, but I think I need to keep a notebook handy for when I find great info, so I can jot it down!!!
Thanks in advance gals!!

I made jewelweed soap back about a month ago, infused the water and the olive oil with the jewelweed. It was a pretty green until it gelled, then turned into a peanut butter color. I did my normal superfat of 5%. Recipe was olive oil 41%, Coconut oil 31% Palm kernel oil 28%. Soaped at low temperature to preserve the properties of the jewelweed.

FYI, jewelweed must have a lot of natural sugar in it. When I cut the log I had very small pockets of an orange looking oil, looked like the sugar pockets I have gotten in my goats milk soap. It absorbed back into the soap and after curing for just a few days was hard as a rock. Turned out to be a nice bar.

i boil the stalks of jewelweed in water until it turns a bright orange, I usually do a lot at a time and freeze it.

Use that water as my liquid and my soap is a simple lard and castor oil bar. Many old timers told me that plain lye soap works great on posion ivy. I also add a little peppermint and tea tree oils. Not much.

Back