Using IRFA percentages for fragrance oil

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The difference between the categories seems to depend on whether the product is normally applied to normal, unbroken skin or whether it's applied to irritated skin (shaving) or sensitive skin (underarm, gentialia) or is an aerosol product (cat 9).

I have more thoughts here -- IFRA guidelines | Soapy Stuff -- but I do agree the differences sometimes seem arbitrary to me too.
Thanks for posting this link, @DeeAnna - very helpful. I was reviewing the IFRA for a FO my brother requested and it said 100% for Cat 9. I almost fell out of my chair. I think I’ll stick with what the Wise @TheGecko said and do 1oz PPO and see how that goes. FO is patchouli cedarwood from Natures Oil.

I used the IRFA safe percentage of a particular FO. My husband used the soap on his face and it burned the hell out of him!.

Wow! Any chance that the soap was lye-heavy? If not, I'd report the incident to the supplier.
no, no chance it was lye heavy. I tested it to be sure. The fo in question had some cinnamon in it and so i was very surprised when it was listed as skin safe and what the IRFA percentage was. It smelled delicious. I should have followed my gut feeling and listened to my own common sense and ignored the IRFA and just not soaped that particular fo as after all these years soaping i know that most fo's containing notes of cinnamon will not be listed as skin safe.

Sometimes this whole IFRA thing reminds me of coffee. Why? Because one week the report says "Drinking coffee helps you live longer!!" and weeks later a new study will come out with some new malady brought on by coffee. Repeat ad nauseum. It has been like this for as long as I can remember. IFRA fell into the coffee category with their recent change. If I've been making a soap with a fragrance that said 8% was a safe level and now says 2%, and the fragrance hasn't been reformulated, then to me, it's just capriciousness on their part. Maybe I would feel differently if I sold my stuff, but if it was safe for my skin before the IFRA change, it's still fine. Nothing changed because IFRA waved its magic wand.

no, no chance it was lye heavy. I tested it to be sure. The fo in question had some cinnamon in it and so i was very surprised when it was listed as skin safe and what the IRFA percentage was. It smelled delicious. I should have followed my gut feeling and listened to my own common sense and ignored the IRFA and just not soaped that particular fo as after all these years soaping i know that most fo's containing notes of cinnamon will not be listed as skin safe.
Oh my, I’m so sorry to hear that! FWIW, most of my family reacts very strongly to any cinnamon on the skin, as well as related things like clove and nutmeg. That’s why I really hate to see people adding those powders or EOs directly to soap. Maybe no one they know has that reaction, but they never know who will use their soap. And the reactivity can build up over time, too.

Last edited:
I used the IRFA safe percentage of a particular FO.
Oopsie! The IFRA safe percentage is NOT the same as the recommended Usage Rate. Usually the IFRA Is much higher.
My husband used the soap on his face and it burned the hell out of him!.
The fo in question had some cinnamon in it
I can relate to your hubby's reaction. Years ago, I was a participant in a product swap. One lady made "Extreme Cream" scented with cinnamon. I opened the jar and immediate applied it to the crease of my eyelids that were itchy. YEE-OUCH! I couldn't get to the sink to wash it off fast enough!

I was just drying my eyes, when another soaper in the swap called to say she had put some on her cheeks. She was in tears as she hoped it would help her rosacia. She got burned too.

Latest posts

Back