Using grated soap in new soap

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lovinglife

Reaction score
I grated up a bunch of ends and pieces and ugly bars to put in new soap but I'm not sure how to do that.. Do you make your regular soap and add the grates to the batter or put them in the log and pour new soap over it. If you add to the soap pot does it mix in and can you pour it into the loaf? I really want to try this I think it would be a neat bar to use...

Thanks!

You can do it either way. If you put the shreds in your mold then pour your batter in, be sure to bang the mold a bit to get out any air bubbles. I usually just wait until my soap is thick enough where the shreds won't settle and then stir the shreds in and pour.

Perfect! Thank you so much, can't wait for the weekend so I can give it a try.

I second (third?) the recommendation to stir the shreds into the new batter and also to stick with Susie's proportions for best results. Too many shreds are Not a Good Thing. I think stirring the shreds into the batter gives better results than pouring the batter over the shreds in the mold. There will be a lower chance of air pockets and lots of little loose shreds to shed like a long haired cat. Also the shreds will be better mixed throughout the batter. Don't ask me why I know all this. :problem:

Latest posts

Back