Using Fresh Aloe Vera

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Very strange, I never have it go pink immediately, or if it sits for a few days then it turns a hint of pink. I just processed some yesterday and it is still a pretty light green. I wonder if you processed the resinous latex goop that will run to the bottom, I do know it will add to the color changing. Since you purchased your leaf I would assume it is the same I use and I have purchased the large leaves when I have none to cut. The larger the leaf the more they need to stand up and let the resin run to the bottom

Hey you aloe vera mavens,

I was in Trader Joe's yesterday after seeing this thread and came across a gallon bottle of AV juice for 7.99, so bought it. I was thinking of buying a lb from Brambleberry for 6.99, so this will be no-brainer if it works :) A couple of questions, if any of you would be kind enough to opine:

(1) The ingredients describe it as: 99% organic aloe juice (no added sugars), Citric Acid, Sodium Benzoate and Potassium Sorbate (food preservatives). Would this be OK to use in CP? Mostly concerned about the food preservatives.

(2) This seems like a *lot* of aloe to use quickly for a hobbyist. Will it be OK if I freeze it in zip lock bags? If so, how long will it keep in the fridge once unfrozen?

Thanks for any input!

Very strange, I never have it go pink immediately, or if it sits for a few days then it turns a hint of pink. I just processed some yesterday and it is still a pretty light green. I wonder if you processed the resinous latex goop that will run to the bottom, I do know it will add to the color changing. Since you purchased your leaf I would assume it is the same I use and I have purchased the large leaves when I have none to cut. The larger the leaf the more they need to stand up and let the resin run to the bottom

It was a very big leaf and I had no idea as to the best way to process it; other than knowing not to use the green part. I did not know about resin.

Can I still use this for soap? I am not concerned about the color, but if it has any adverse effects like acceleration, or anything at all, I may want to reconsider using it. I do not want to waste it, but I am much more concerned about problem soap.

Yes, I always freeze aloe juice before adding the lye to it. That would be a great way to store it and maintain freshness.

I was in Trader Joe's yesterday after seeing this thread and came across a gallon bottle of AV juice for 7.99, so bought it. I was thinking of buying a lb from Brambleberry for 6.99, so this will be no-brainer if it works :) A couple of questions, if any of you would be kind enough to opine:

(1) The ingredients describe it as: 99% organic aloe juice (no added sugars), Citric Acid, Sodium Benzoate and Potassium Sorbate (food preservatives). Would this be OK to use in CP? Mostly concerned about the food preservatives.

(2) This seems like a *lot* of aloe to use quickly for a hobbyist. Will it be OK if I freeze it in zip lock bags? If so, how long will it keep in the fridge once unfrozen?

Thanks for any input!

That's the same brand I have used without issue.

Can I still use this for soap? I am not concerned about the color, but if it has any adverse effects like acceleration, or anything at all, I may want to reconsider using it. I do not want to waste it, but I am much more concerned about problem soap.

My fresh aloe didn't cause any acceleration. I would use it no problem but I don't know what color the pink might turn to. I process the skin on my leaves and the gel is a beautiful bright green but in soap it turns a ugly brownish color. A little green mica brings back the pretty green.

My fresh aloe didn't cause any acceleration. I would use it no problem but I don't know what color the pink might turn to. I process the skin on my leaves and the gel is a beautiful bright green but in soap it turns a ugly brownish color. A little green mica brings back the pretty green.

Thank. I can counter-act the brown color. I'll use a little TD and a little green. I also think this might be a soap that I want to CPOP.

It was a very big leaf and I had no idea as to the best way to process it; other than knowing not to use the green part. I did not know about resin.

I really do not think the pink will pose any great problems, and I would not waste good fresh aloe.

Thanks for any input!
Just a little note, you can purchase the gallons of Aloe Juice cheaper at Walmart. It will freeze fine and is also good mixed with fresh aloe to thin down the thick gel some if using aloe for full water replacement

Interesting, I have never had aloe go brown and I use a lot of aloe along with avocado. However I do not add the aloe into the lye, I add it directly into my oils, before adding in my lye solution. Just used fresh aloe in my 4th of July soapies that have pure white lines and they are pure white. As mentioned I do not run mine through a juicer which tells me you are also getting the brown resin in yours which will discolor. Filleting is really not hard...:grin:

I let mine sit so the resin ran out, I really think its the skin that made mine turn brown. I plan on switching to the jugged kind of aloe, my plant isn't big enough to support more then 1-2 more batches.

I'd assume its some kind of mechanical filtration to extract just the liquid so its easier to drink. You ever tried one of those aloe drinks that has the gel in it? They are nasty.

I let mine sit so the resin ran out, I really think its the skin that made mine turn brown. I plan on switching to the jugged kind of aloe, my plant isn't big enough to support more then 1-2 more batches.
Have you ever filleted it to remove the gel? If you have you will notice all the yellowish brown on the inside of the leaf after removing the clear gel and I am guessing you are picking up the coloration because of the juicer
Bussy, I have always wondered why it is so thin when it is purchased in the bottle, and cannot believe there is much left in the soap after curing and the liquid evaporating. You can actually see the aloe in my soaps

I bought a big stem if fresh Aloe Vera and would like to use it in a Cold Process soap. But I am not quite how to do this.

If I process the gel insides of the stem to liquefy it should I account for it as part of the water used to dissolve the lye?

Also, anyone who uses fresh Aloe Vera, what do you like about it in your soap. Does it add any worth while properties? I am thinking of making this as a facial bar for myself and want to supper fat it and probably add some Shea Butter.

ImageUploadedBySoap Making1433608796.872473.jpg

This is the CP batch I made with the fresh Aloe Vera. I used 100% Aloe Vera liquid for the Lye solution. It turned a beautiful burgundy color which I knew would change to brown in the saponification process. I added Titanium Oxide to all the batter, then separated it to make a small amount for mica green and a mica pink. These colors morphed out almost completely. You may not see it in the photo, but there is a very slight hint of both colors.

I added Aloe Vera Essential oil and the scent is very strong indeed. The fresh Aloe Vera had no scent that I could detect but the essential oil is very potent.

I am very eager for the soap to cure. I will start testing my "test slivers" in a week or two to see how it's going.

You soaps came out very nice looking. Unless I am missing something there is no such thing as Aloe Essential, but I have known to be wrong. There is an Aloe Extract which is a fixed oil infused with aloe, many times the base is soy oil. There are Aloe Fo's that smell a lot like aloe. When I clean my aloe I always smell the strong aloe scent but it will not hold in soap.

I bought a big stem if fresh Aloe Vera and would like to use it in a Cold Process soap. But I am not quite how to do this.

If I process the gel insides of the stem to liquefy it should I account for it as part of the water used to dissolve the lye?

Also, anyone who uses fresh Aloe Vera, what do you like about it in your soap. Does it add any worth while properties? I am thinking of making this as a facial bar for myself and want to supper fat it and probably add some Shea Butter.

View attachment 14429

This is the CP batch I made with the fresh Aloe Vera. I used 100% Aloe Vera liquid for the Lye solution. It turned a beautiful burgundy color which I knew would change to brown in the saponification process. I added Titanium Oxide to all the batter, then separated it to make a small amount for mica green and a mica pink. These colors morphed out almost completely. You may not see it in the photo, but there is a very slight hint of both colors.

I added Aloe Vera Essential oil and the scent is very strong indeed. The fresh Aloe Vera had no scent that I could detect but the essential oil is very potent.

I am very eager for the soap to cure. I will start testing my "test slivers" in a week or two to see how it's going.

View attachment 14429

This is the CP batch I made with the fresh Aloe Vera that was posted as my initial inquiry starting this thread. I used 100% Aloe Vera liquid for the Lye solution. It turned a beautiful burgundy color which I knew would change to brown in the saponification process. I added Titanium Oxide to all the batter, then separated it to make a small amount for mica green and a mica pink. These colors morphed out almost completely. You may not see it in the photo, but there is a very slight hint of both colors.

You soaps came out very nice looking. Unless I am missing something there is no such thing as Aloe Essential, but I have known to be wrong. There is an Aloe Extract which is a fixed oil infused with aloe, many times the base is soy oil. There are Aloe Fo's that smell a lot like aloe. When I clean my aloe I always smell the strong aloe scent but it will not hold in soap.

Thanks for the scent info. You are most likely correct as I am no expert about this. And this scent was purchased for me by someone else from a vendor in Harlem who said it was an EO. but it may be a FO.

I use fresh aloe all the time as i have the plant. I just sb the meat with the oils before lye. Never had a problem so far..

Latest posts

Back