Using Fresh Aloe Vera

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SoapSap

Reaction score
I bought a big stem if fresh Aloe Vera and would like to use it in a Cold Process soap. But I am not quite how to do this.

If I process the gel insides of the stem to liquefy it should I account for it as part of the water used to dissolve the lye?

Also, anyone who uses fresh Aloe Vera, what do you like about it in your soap. Does it add any worth while properties? I am thinking of making this as a facial bar for myself and want to supper fat it and probably add some Shea Butter.

I've made a couple batches of soap recently with aloe vera. What I did was stuff the leaves through a juicer to make a nasty snotty mess. If you don't have a juicer, scape all the gel out, smash it up and then blend it with a little water to get it as smooth as possible. Strain it to remove chunks.

You would count it as part of your liquid. I use just enough water to dissolve the lye then make up the rest of the liquid with the aloe. I like to blend the aloe into the oils before the lye.

I really like it in my soap, it add a nice slickness and creaminess to the lather. It also seems to leave my skin feeling softer. I plan on buying a large jug of aloe juice to use in all my soap.

I've made a couple batches of soap recently with aloe vera. What I did was stuff the leaves through a juicer to make a nasty snotty mess. If you don't have a juicer, scape all the gel out, smash it up and then blend it with a little water to get it as smooth as possible. Strain it to remove chunks.

You would count it as part of your liquid. I use just enough water to dissolve the lye then make up the rest of the liquid with the aloe. I like to blend the aloe into the oils before the lye.

I really like it in my soap, it add a nice slickness and creaminess to the lather. It also seems to leave my skin feeling softer. I plan on buying a large jug of aloe juice to use in all my soap.

Thank you. This information is very helpful. I ran the pulp through my VitaMix and will now strain it. I like the idea of adding it to the oils before the lye. I do that when I make milk soaps.

I filet off the gel then put the gel in my blender and puree it. I never strain it and my customers like to see the little specks of aloe, but I do not include the outside of the leaf as I find it quite scratchy in the finished soap. It is used as the balance of my liquid after accounting for my 50/50 lye solution. Usually I keep a half gallon in the fridge to use

Mine has a very thick skin that must be separated from the gel before it can be processed. Thankfully the way I do it leaves very little "flecks." First I open one end with a slight twisting motion. Sometimes there's a membrane there that I carefully slice out to give me better flow. Then if I am patient I can just let the juice run out. Here's what mine looks like:

http://tinyurl.com/qcq7xwn

Mine has a very thick skin that must be separated from the gel before it can be processed. Thankfully the way I do it leaves very little "flecks." First I open one end with a slight twisting motion. Sometimes there's a membrane there that I carefully slice out to give me better flow. Then if I am patient I can just let the juice run out. Here's what mine looks like:

http://tinyurl.com/qcq7xwn
Why would you waste all the great gel inside if you are using it for soap? I did forget to mention I wait until the resinous (brownish) runs down to the end of the leaf and cut it off because it will cause discoloration if you are processing much aloe, after blending I add in some citric acid.
How I clean mine is to cut the whole leaf lengthwise down the middle for ease of filleting off the gel. Then I run my fillet knife horizontally through the left all the way down to separate the leaf and get to the inside with the good stuff. Fillet it off, toss the gel in a blender or processor. It is less messy pureed in a blender, it will become very foamy but will settle after awhile. I love aloe and avocado soap

I get a few flecks, but don't worry about it. My leaves might not have been as mature as the ones you used. I do cucumbers the same way.

I've only used aloe that I purchased in a big gallon jug. And I love it in soap! I have a little aloe plant growing and I hope to harvest some when it gets bigger!

I caught it, Lee! I snorted water. Now my nose burns.

But honestly at first I didn't get it, because I had clicked on the link and was thinking 'oh Hey! I have one of those jugs on the very far left too!

Um wait...."

THEN I snorted water.

ImageUploadedBySoap Making1433082100.172942.jpg

This is the juice I got from the one very large Aloe Vera stem. I got almost a full pint. I have not strained it yet. There seems to be very little in there to strain.

I am curious what the color is pink when the gelatinous matter seemed to be perfectly clear.

I really use it to help stop the color change you just ended up with and to help preserve it. I have to say I have never had any go quite as pink as yours shows in the pic. Of course camera and computers do not always show the true color. When I make up large batches of aloe I add in a preservative instead of the citric. You got that much out of one very large stem, you can imagine how much I get out of 2 grocery bags full of large stems. :)

As soon as I removed the flesh I processed it in the blender. It was pink immediately. Hardly any time at all to oxidize. I now have put a bit (1/4 tsp) citric acid into the solution. I did no know how much to use skit ride to use just a little. The color has not changed any soothing the oxidation has not progressed. Am keeping in the refrigerator. If I do not get to soap today I will freeze it.

Back