Using food-grade exracts

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sakura1024

Reaction score
Hey everyone!

I am trying to create some new tropical smelling EO blends and I really want a vanilla for my "Tahiti" line. Problem is - I can't find it ANYWHERE. Hardly anyone even carries it and those that do are out of stock. I have some FO, but I'm trying to keep this line natural. So, I was wondering if I could use food grade vanilla extract. Has anyone done this? Will it adversely affect m (hot process) soap?

Vanilla extract is almost pure alcohol. In CP it would cause the soap to seize. Not sure in HP but most of the scent would likely burn off due to the heat of the soap and take the scent with it??

Its been done and the scent doesn't survive the saponification process. You'll have to use EO or FO.

Bummer. I didn't realize it was so high in alcohol. I hate the taste and smell of vanilla, so I tend to avoid it, but I was getting desperate.

Any ideas for where I can find the EO? I really don't want to compromise on using the FO in this because I use so many FOs and I just want a few essential blends for those that prefer it and are sensitive to synthetics (like my kids).

Last edited:
I haven't tried this, but didn't someone in another thread mention that benzoin gives a vanilla scent? Can anyone set me straight?

I was just about to chime in with the benzoin, it definitely smells like vanilla but I think it is a skin sensitiser so you have to use it in small amounts only, it would work well as a base note when mixed with other things but not sure how it would work as the only scent.

I made a batch of cp soap and used pure vanilla extract without alcohol or caramel and it worked fine. I added it at trace. ImageUploadedBySoap Making1400547320.749753.jpg this is the brand I used, I got it in Mexico.

Latest posts

Back