Using essential oils in lotion bars (flashpoint question)

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

josianeg

Reaction score
Is it possible to add essential oils with low flashpoint to lotion bars?

I have done it in the past and remember my bars with sweet orange EO had a nice orangey smell (for a while at least, maybe it didn't last as long as the FOs) even if the flashpoint of this EO (46 Celcius) is lower than the temperature at which beeswax melts (62-64 Celsius).

How could that be? 🤯

Is it because the EO wasn't heated for a long time (it's the last thing I add)? Does it make a difference?

I also added the sweet orange EO to HP soap and the scent was nice and strong. I don't remember the temperature of HP right before you put it in molds, but I'm pretty sure it's also above 46 Celsius.

Sorry if this is a stupid question or if this has already been answered here (in which case could someone please redirect me to the information?).

Thanks

The flashpoint temperature is the temp at which a material will ignite if exposed to a spark. If you use scents with low flashpoints, then be really careful about using them anywhere near sparks or flames.

The flashpoint of a pure EO or FO doesn't apply if the EO or FO has been mixed into something else, such as adding the scent to soap or a lotion bar. Flashpoint of the pure EO or FO only relates to the scent when it's in an undiluted form.

Flashpoint tells you nothing about how strong the scent will be in the finished product nor how long the scent will last.

The rate of evaporation of a random high flashpoint scent is about the same as the evaporation rate of a random low flashpoint scent. And both will evaporate more slowly than water.

Add a scent to your product (soap, lotion, etc.) when the product is as cool as is practical for you to add the scent. Keeping the temp cool during manufacture and storage and keeping the scented product in an enclosed environment (jar, tin, box, etc.) are effective ways to preserve scent.

https://classicbells.com/soap/fragranceVolatility.asp

Is it possible to add essential oils with low flashpoint to lotion bars?

I have done it in the past and remember my bars with sweet orange EO had a nice orangey smell (for a while at least, maybe it didn't last as long as the FOs) even if the flashpoint of this EO (46 Celcius) is lower than the temperature at which beeswax melts (62-64 Celsius).

How could that be? 🤯

Is it because the EO wasn't heated for a long time (it's the last thing I add)? Does it make a difference?

I also added the sweet orange EO to HP soap and the scent was nice and strong. I don't remember the temperature of HP right before you put it in molds, but I'm pretty sure it's also above 46 Celsius.

Sorry if this is a stupid question or if this has already been answered here (in which case could someone please redirect me to the information?).

Thanks
I use essential oils routinely in all my lotion bars. I get my usage rates from Find Free Essential Oil Blends - Essential Oil Calculator . I love using orange 10x with cocoa butter.

The flashpoint temperature is the temp at which a material will ignite if exposed to a spark. If you use scents with low flashpoints, then be really careful about using them anywhere near sparks or flames.

The flashpoint of a pure EO or FO doesn't apply if the EO or FO has been mixed into something else, such as adding the scent to soap or a lotion bar. Flashpoint of the pure EO or FO only relates to the scent when it's in an undiluted form.

Flashpoint tells you nothing about how strong the scent will be in the finished product nor how long the scent will last.

The rate of evaporation of a random high flashpoint scent is about the same as the evaporation rate of a random low flashpoint scent. And both will evaporate more slowly than water.

Add a scent to your product (soap, lotion, etc.) when the product is as cool as is practical for you to add the scent. Keeping the temp cool during manufacture and storage and keeping the scented product in an enclosed environment (jar, tin, box, etc.) are effective ways to preserve scent.

https://classicbells.com/soap/fragranceVolatility.asp

Thank you so much for your answer! 🙏

Back