Using egg in soap

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NatureandNurture

Reaction score
Do you use the whole thing? Or just the yolk? Should I worry about the yolk membrane and try to get it out? I'm guessing I would sub it for some of the water and just add at trace.

I've never added eggs to mine, but most of the recipes and whatnot I've read only used the yolk. I'm not sure about removing the chalaza or not, if I did an egg soap I'd personally pull it out just because I'd hate to find it in the finished soap, ick.

Eggs in soap? Thats a new one on me. Wouldn't the egg cook?? Now I'm curious. More information please.

I use the whole egg. You have to add some oil with your egg and mix well, then add thinly traced soap, a little at a time while mixing with stick blender. This tempers the eggs. Don't add the traced soap too fast or you will have scrambled eggs. I use a citrus e.o. blend to cover up any sulphur smell from the eggs. I have a recipe that I will share. If you are interested just pm me.

Never heard of that one before! What is the purpose of using eggs in soap?

I made a egg shampoo bar once. I used just the yolk and very little of it. I had DOS develop in them. Not sure if it was the egg or not. I made them round and colored the center yellow and left the outside of it white so they looked like eggs. I added it to the shampoo bar for the protien.

Bruce

I don't know what the benefits of egg in soap is, unless you use it for shampoo. Eggs contain protein. My soap turned out to be nice and sudsy.

I've got a couple of egg batches under my belt and I really like them. The eggs add a nice feel to the suds, I find. I use just the yolks in mine- 1 yolk ppo.

I made my first egg soap about a year ago in a 100% Castile batch, scented with Clean FO. It's still as fresh as a daisy. No DOS or rancidity at all. My second egg batch was made about 2 months ago in a lard batch, scented with Pink Sugar. Smells great. For those that are worried about sulpher smells from the eggs- it only lasts for a day or so after unmolding and then it's fine. At least, that's been my experience with my 2 batches.

I'm not sure about removing the chalaza or not, if I did an egg soap I'd personally pull it out just because I'd hate to find it in the finished soap, ick.

I removed the chalaza from my yolks in my 2 batches before soaping them. I got the tip to do so on another soaping forum from someone who ended up with solidified chalaza bits in their soap. I didn't want to take any chances of that happening, so I made sure to remove it when I made mine. Worked great- no cooked egg in my soap. :)

I temper my egg yolks in a little bit of my warm, raw soap batter and then stickblend the bejeebees out of them before adding to my pot. So far, it has worked without a hitch.

IrishLass :)

Maybe it's just me, but as a rule of thumb, if I could set it out on the counter for a couple months and it could stink, rot and / or decay, then I'm not putting it in my soap.

phpworm said:
Maybe it's just me, but as a rule of thumb, if I could set it out on the counter for a couple months and it could stink, rot and / or decay, then I'm not putting it in my soap.

Wouldn't that include milk?

I guess it would... I've always used powdered milk. Okay you can toss that rule of thumb out the window.

The soap sounds lovely, however, I'm still looking for any benefits to using egg in soap. Lather? creaminess? scent?? just a reason. Do eggs off a specific quality to the soap?

It doesn't sound very scientific, I know, but to me, it's all about the extra oomph the eggs lend to my lather. It just feels richer to me. I like using things that make my lather feel richer, and the more on the natural spectrum those things are, the better. :)

I don't know if this helps, but from my notes that I jotted down from a different soaping forum, egg whites are mostly water and protein and will behave similar in soap as other proteins like milk and tofu do. The yolks, on the other hand, contribute fats, cholesterol (great for skin) and lecithin (an emulsifier).

IrishLass said:
It doesn't sound very scientific, I know, but to me, it's all about the extra oomph the eggs lend to my lather. It just feels richer to me. I like using things that make my lather feel richer, and the more on the natural spectrum those things are, the better. :)

I don't know if this helps, but from my notes that I jotted down from a different soaping forum, egg whites are mostly water and protein and will behave similar in soap as other proteins like milk and tofu do. The yolks, on the other hand, contribute fats, cholesterol (great for skin) and lecithin (an emulsifier).

Thanks for posting this. Next time I am going to try just the yolks. I hated wasting the whites, but I guess I can use them in cooking.

Never tried eggs before

I have a soap book that includes recipes on egg soaps but I have never tried them. I have made tofu soap before. The tofu cakes lend a creamy richness to the soaps as well. I might try the eggs, I love being creative. :p

Latest posts

Back