Using discounted water for swirls, and a few other queries...

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gigisiguenza

Reaction score
My last attempt not withstanding (it got way too thick too quick), I think I like the discounted water method. It hardened up for unmolding much faster, and it didn't heat up as much as my usual full water usage (it only required I refrigerate it for an hour after molding, then it was fine at room temp until unmolded).

But... if my reading is correct, it does tend to thicken up more rapidly as a result of the lower water content. I'm trying to work around this, but I'm not sure how. Should I decrease the solid oils and increase liquid oils? I really like my 50% Lard recipes, but if using less water requires less solids, I guess I'll have to sacrifice some (pout).

I welcome any suggestions regarding this :)

Also... up until now I've been religiously using 20% CO ( with the exception of two batches) to ensure bubbles and lather. I want to reduce this, as every one of the 20% soaps is way too drying for me - but I don't want to lose the lather.

It's been suggested already that I use sugar or honey or aloe juice, all of which I have on hand and plan to try. And I know I'm supposed to use 2tsp ppo for the honey or sugar, and can sub the aloe juice for the entire water allotment. And I know that the sugars (any) will increase the likelihood of the batter heating up. But I'm unsure if the combo of discounted water and sugar is too much and cause the batter to superheat.

Again, any feedback on this particular combo would be greatly appreciated. I don't gel, I prefer nongelled soaps, and want to avoid gel completely if possible.

And last but not least, I found a roll of 100% rubber "drawer liner" at the dollar store. It's pretty thick for drawer liner (0.1 cm thick) and is not the kind with holes in it, it's solid. I'm going to grab a bunch more because I can think of a bunch of craft and not craft uses for it, but I'm wondering if I can use it for a reusable mold liner.

Is rubber ok for soaping? Will it melt from the lye?

TY in advance for any help and sorry for the lengthy question list. Figured one longer post was better than several separate posts.

Last edited:
So to understand you better, your requirement is to do swirls in a recipe with 50% lard and unmold easily without passing the gel phase?

As far as it concerns lather, instead of sugars you can add a bit of Castor if you haven't already.

So to understand you better, your requirement is to do swirls in a recipe with 50% lard and unmold easily without passing the gel phase?

As far as it concerns lather, instead of sugars you can add a bit of Castor if you haven't already.

I have castor oil in every recipe :)

Some people have found that castor speeds up trace, just to bear in mind.

But to swirl, you want to soap colder anyway, which will help prevent gel. If you then freeze the soap afterward then I would think you would avoid gel quite easily.

Well my knowledge so far tells me that to avoid fast trace we must soap at low temperature (oils and lye), avoid as much as possible the use of stick blender, use a trace safe FO/EO and as it concerns lard, although it is a solid oil, it is famous for not accelerating trace easily.

You can also use 30-31% lye concentration if you want to avoid gel, along with a mold that it isn't wooden, and refrigerate it or use a fan throwing air on it. Adding 3% salt of oils also helps unmolding easier.

More experienced soapers will chime in soon and give you their two cents.

:roll:

I don't know about rubber but you can use EVA draw lining material available in hardware stores.

I use a really cheap (thin) silicone sheet.

Where did you find thin silicone sheets? And what is EVA? and I'm on the web now checking the rubber issue :)

Some people have found that castor speeds up trace, just to bear in mind.

But to swirl, you want to soap colder anyway, which will help prevent gel. If you then freeze the soap afterward then I would think you would avoid gel quite easily.
Gent I usually soap very cool, but I've never stuck a fresh pour in the freezer, I'll try it TY
Well my knowledge so far tells me that to avoid fast trace we must soap at low temperature (oils and lye), avoid as much as possible the use of stick blender, use a trace safe FO/EO and as it concerns lard, although it is a solid oil, it is famous for not accelerating trace easily.

You can also use 30-31% lye concentration if you want to avoid gel, along with a mold that it isn't wooden, and refrigerate it or use a fan throwing air on it. Adding 3% salt of oils also helps unmolding easier.

More experienced soapers will chime in soon and give you their two cents.

:roll:

Add salt to the oils?

Latest posts

Back