Using Diatomaceous Earth in Soap

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Because this is food grade, we can also sprinkle it on the dogs and cats (well, if we can get the cats to hold still).

Oddly enough, we haven't had to do this because we haven't had a flea problem this year.

Harlow said:
I have never used it in soap, but if you sprinkle it on your carpet or in your yard, it kills fleas!

I lived an apartment with ants once, and ROACHES, and this stuff is great for both. Ewwww.

I have bad allergies myself, and had cats so couldn't use anything toxic.

epowers777 said:
You should do a 2 part soap wash. First use the de bar then use a real high moisture bar.
Just an idea!

I really like this idea. I've been doing more web research and just found a seaweed soap that has (among other things) DE that retails for $18 for a 5.3 ouce bar! I also just read a recommendation to use it with a tiny bit of water for a microdermabrasion facial. The DE I ordered just arrived today and I will definitely be experimenting with it in my next batches of soap.

I used kelp powder and scent in my control batch so I could easily see which had the DE in it.

Umm...does this mean I could sell the test batch for $18? :lol: I'm sorry...I just can't imagine paying that much for a 5 oz bar. Where did you see this bar?

shonnyisley said:
PLEASE SOMEONE LET ME KNOW HOW THIS TURNS OUT! I have already had one simi ruined batch of soap and I am not so eagar to try it again! I love earth powder though! I am wanting to start taking it again since I did not take it during my pregnancy because I wasnt sure how safe it was...and now I am nursing and am still unsure if I can take it! That stuff makes your nails grow so fast that it seems too darn fast...and my hair grew from my bra strap to my waist in a year from taking this stuff!

How did you take it? I want it- need my hair to grow.

I mix mine into juice. It's way to chalky for me to do in water. I like apple juice or grape juice. Mix it up good and slam it quickly before it settles back to the bottom of the glass.

I have had the DE in coffee for 2 wks now. Yes I can tell a difference in my nails.. and it does clean you out :roll: !! 1 T in a cup if coffee.. (( I have not noticed hair - live in hot south east texas and hair is always pulled up LOL ))

Using DE in soap???

I don’t know about using this stuff in soap. I used to use a lot of DE as a filtering agent in my swimming pool filter. I don’t know how much of the stuff ended up in the pool but it was hard to tell if it was having any effect on my family’s health.

As mentioned in one of the threads it has silica like consistency and or properties. I wouldn’t put it in my soap for fear some of the by-product of this could end up in one’s eyes. The abrasiveness of DE may have a detrimental effect on really soft tissue.

These are just my thoughts on the subject on using DE. I certainly wouldn’t want to take a chance of accidentally breathing any of this stuff since it has a high silica content. I used a mask when putting it in my swimming pool filter. As for using it as an exfoliant in soap, ground up oatmeal would surely be a lot safer.
Jerry S

Re: Using DE in soap???

Jerry S said:
I don’t know about using this stuff in soap. I used to use a lot of DE as a filtering agent in my swimming pool filter.

This is not a food grade DE...never use the industrial grade for anything but the intended filtering purpose. Food grade is non-toxic while the other is not. Pool grade is heat treated and in crystalline form. Industrial DE is NOT safe to ingest.

I used food grade which looks similar to flour in the soap batch. I've been reading more about diatomaceous earth and I've found it is used in facial masks to absorb excess oils. It's also used in scrubs and toothpaste since it is a mild abrasive.

Very interesting thread!!! After reading this and watching earthworks video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RQn6GSHN ... _embedded#! I'm sold. Just ordered 1 lb to see if it really will lower cholesterol and blood pressure, and help with hair and nails. I'm eager to see how your soap turns out Jaaret I'm very interested in a good microderm abrasion soap. :)

Half Caper Farm said:
Just be very, very careful not to inhale the dust. :shock: You don't want a lungfull of this stuff.

Too right. Check the MSDS (Material Safety Data Sheet) as the one I googled tells me it's not good to inhale. Big problem when putting it on pets. May be Carcinogenic.

I got this quote from a MSDS some time ago and I can't locate it at the moment. May not be for food grade though. Wearing a mask when handling powders such as this and Titanium Dioxide is probably a good idea.

Routes of Exposure Inhalation, ingestion, eye and skin Health effects from likely routes of exposure Inhalation: Ingestion: Eye: Skin: Material is irritating to mucous membranes and upper respiratory tract. Ingestion is not expected to be a primary route of exposure. No adverse health effects expected. Temporary irritation or inflammation. No adverse health effects expected. Effects of Overexposure Chronic exposure can cause silicosis, a form of lung scaring that can cause shortness of breath and reduced lung function. May also affect blood and liver. Inhalation may increase the progression of tuberculosis. Existing Conditions Aggravated by Exposure Pre-existing upper respiratory and lung disease such as, but not limited to bronchitis, emphysema and asthma. Carcinogenicity Classified as a carcinogen (IARC, NTP, OSHA).

Bubbles Galore said:
[quote="Half Caper Farm":7wxhirsv]Just be very, very careful not to inhale the dust. :shock: You don't want a lungfull of this stuff.

Too right. Check the MSDS (Material Safety Data Sheet) as the one I googled tells me it's not good to inhale. Big problem when putting it on pets. May be Carcinogenic.

I got this quote from a MSDS some time ago and I can't locate it at the moment. May not be for food grade though. Wearing a mask when handling powders such as this and Titanium Dioxide is probably a good idea.

Routes of Exposure Inhalation, ingestion, eye and skin Health effects from likely routes of exposure Inhalation: Ingestion: Eye: Skin: Material is irritating to mucous membranes and upper respiratory tract. Ingestion is not expected to be a primary route of exposure. No adverse health effects expected. Temporary irritation or inflammation. No adverse health effects expected. Effects of Overexposure Chronic exposure can cause silicosis, a form of lung scaring that can cause shortness of breath and reduced lung function. May also affect blood and liver. Inhalation may increase the progression of tuberculosis. Existing Conditions Aggravated by Exposure Pre-existing upper respiratory and lung disease such as, but not limited to bronchitis, emphysema and asthma. Carcinogenicity Classified as a carcinogen (IARC, NTP, OSHA).
[/quote:7wxhirsv]

This sounds like industrial diatomaceous earth.

I made a 1 # batch today with milk and honey.. I'll let ya know how it turns out .. Yes swap with D E would be good ... all D E soaps FUN !!!

I put samples of the DE soap and comparison soap (half of the batch without DE) in the box I sent for the Nostalgia swap. I posted this discussion's link and asked for feedback about it. It will be interesting to read the comments.

Food grade DE is less than .5% crystalline silica which is the kind that causes silicosis. It is amorphous silica which does not. My husband and I have taken Perma Guard DE for years and give it to my pets.

Hazel said:
I put samples of the DE soap and comparison soap (half of the batch without DE) in the box I sent for the Nostalgia swap. I posted this discussion's link and asked for feedback about it. It will be interesting to read the comments.
Put a link here for us to see the comments too please

I asked them to post any feedback on this topic so the information will stay on one thread.

Who knows? They might all post that it's the worst soap in the world. :lol:

Latest posts

Back