Using Diatomaceous Earth in Soap

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It came up quite a bit when we were discussing the benefits of it, how it could be used for our animals and whether one of us should buy some to try.

Occasional checks: "Did you remember to take your DE today?" I'm good about remembering, she's a little forgetful. :D

A few days ago, I had just finished a soap batch for my nephew and I made a comment to my sister about how I was wondering if DE would work in a soap batch.

If you have a feed store near by you can buy Food Grade DE from there also, and usually for a pretty good price. We have chickens and use it in their coup. Just a suggestion if your pricing it out. I never thought of using it in soap. I just started making soap in the last year or so. :) I'm starting with MP first. Thanks for the idea.

epowers777 - Thanks, I'll have to check it out.

I'm going to make a small experimental HP batch tomorrow. I'll post back & let people know how it turns out.

Hazel said:
epowers777 - Thanks, I'll have to check it out.

I'm going to make a small experimental HP batch tomorrow. I'll post back & let people know how it turns out.

Great! Thanks! I wish I had the patience to do HP all of the time. I am too lazy. That is why I dread making liqud soap!

I don't understand why you need patience for HP. It's so easy. Just mix everything in, leave it on warm and let it cook. Check on it occasionally, etc.

When I do small batchs (20 oz), I do them in a 1.5 qt and they don't take long to cook.

Diatomaceous Earth

I ordered some food grade DE from Ebay a few days ago and will be trying it both as a food supplement and a soaping ingredient. It should be a nice addition to add for "micro-dermabrasion."

Hazel said:
I don't understand why you need patience for HP. It's so easy. Just mix everything in, leave it on warm and let it cook. Check on it occasionally, etc.

When I do small batchs (20 oz), I do them in a 1.5 qt and they don't take long to cook.

I say that because when I am making a 20lb batch of soap (oil weight) I dont have anything big enough to cook it in, and I dont feel like breaking it down to 6 batches to be cooked a batch at a time in a crock. I just dont want to have to babysit it...if you KWIM

Wow! You do 20 lbs at a time? Your family must be very, very clean. :lol:

Okay, I didn't realize your big batchs were big batches. The biggest batch I've ever made was 5 lbs. I can certainly understand why you wouldn't want to have a counter covered with crockpots.

Hazel said:
Wow! You do 20 lbs at a time? Your family must be very, very clean. :lol:

Okay, I didn't realize your big batchs were big batches. The biggest batch I've ever made was 5 lbs. I can certainly understand why you wouldn't want to have a counter covered with crockpots.

I make soap for a local organic foods co-op and I sell soap to extended family! They buy in bulk because they live across the country so I am always making a ton!

I sell DE but I don't put it in soap as it is very drying. Also it is the consistency of flour which is why food grade DE is called fossil shell flour. It kills parasites like fleas because it dries the waxy covering of the external skeletal system. I wear gloves when handling DE. I have mixed a small amount in my tooth powder but it isn't the best tasting stuff. DE is great for natural pest control and as a trace mineral supplement.

Maria said:
I sell DE but I don't put it in soap as it is very drying.

Good to know, Maria. I usually discount my NaOH by 8% and always use good emolients in my soaps like avocado oil, castor oil and almond oil. Do you think these emolients will effectively counter the drying properties of DE?

Jaaret said:
Maria said:
I sell DE but I don't put it in soap as it is very drying.

Good to know, Maria. I usually discount my NaOH by 8% and always use good emolients in my soaps like avocado oil, castor oil and almond oil. Do you think these emolients will effectively counter the drying properties of DE?

Well...that soap I made with mostly shea and cocoa...which are supposed to be pretty drying when used in high percentages...I superfatted at 9% and that soap wasnt drying....it was just not great soap.

I was reading the tooth soap thread and I may have to make a tooth soap with DE powder in it now.

You should do a 2 part soap wash. First use the de bar then use a real high moisture bar.
Just an idea!

No problem if you can get 2 different colors and get them to mold together that would be a sweet looking bar please take pics if you do it and let us know.

It may or may not be enough Jaaret depending on how much is added. Because the DE is a powder, you won't get a scrubby sensation like with pumice. I have made several soaps with mineral powders and to me they do not lather well. I never tried a soap made with silica in any form. DE is primarily amorphous silica, I can't imagine the benefits from washing with it. It will be interesting to hear from those who try it.

I did a 20 oz HP batch yesterday to experiment with DE. I used 7.65 oz aloe juice for the liquid, added 1 T sugar, .4 oz sodium lactate, and 7% superfat.

30% Olive oil
30% Coconut oil
30% Crisco new w/ palm
10% Castor oil

Hardness 36
Cleansing 20
Conditioning 60
Bubbly 29
Creamy 25

After it was done, I removed approximately 13 oz and added 1 1/2 teaspoons of DE to it. Today, I tried a little of the comparison batch and it has nice creamy bubbly lather. Then I tried some of the DE batch and it didn’t lather as much and didn’t feel as creamy but it didn’t dry out my hands. I’m going to let these cure for a couple of weeks and then test again.

I just had an idea! How about if I send samples of these in my swap box? Then the guinea pigs…umm…I mean swap participants can give their opinions about DE in soaps. :D

It's an idea...I didn't say it was a good one. :lol:

DE

Thanks for leading the experiment, Hazel! In theory, the DE has a micro-dermabrasion on skin and is safe to use on the face. (I wouldn't be inclined to use a pumace soap on my face.) Years ago, the friend who had the expensive DE soap said that he credited it with clearing up his complexion. I have no way of knowing what else was in the soap or if it was the DE that helped to clear up his skin. I occasionally do a home micro-dermabrasion using a slurry made from baking soda and water with a single drop of EO. Perhaps I'll try that with the DE.

That's interesting about the microdermabrasion. I'll have to try some on my face. I'll also give some to one of my nephews and see if it helps with his acne.

I have never used it in soap, but if you sprinkle it on your carpet or in your yard, it kills fleas!

Latest posts

Back