Using Diatomaceous Earth in Soap

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Years ago I recall a friend swearing by an expensive soap he purchased that had diatomaceous earth in it. Diatomaceous earth is not actually dirt or clay but 250 million year old material made of fossilized diodes(microscopic single-celled algae). The super tiny fossilized particles are reputed to be a safe and effective exfoliant, and the material is very rich in silica which is good for skin, hair and nails. Has anyone here experimented with this ingredient? If so, what were the results?

It's funny that you posted this about DE. I was just wondering if it was possible to use in soap. I have food grade DE and I drink about 1 T a day. I can verify it's good for the nails because mine have become very strong. I used to have problems with my nails being brittle and "peeling". I don't know if it's helped my skin and hair because I use so many different products I can't make a fair assessment.

Hmm...now that you've posted I'll definitely give it a try. I'll put it on my "to do" list for Saturday. :D

Jaaret said:
Years ago I recall a friend swearing by an expensive soap he purchased that had diatomaceous earth in it. Diatomaceous earth is not actually dirt or clay but 250 million year old material made of fossilized diodes(microscopic single-celled algae). The super tiny fossilized particles are reputed to be a safe and effective exfoliant, and the material is very rich in silica which is good for skin, hair and nails. Has anyone here experimented with this ingredient? If so, what were the results?

not yet but theres one experiment added to the list... I have soaped with seaweed/algae before, so I guess its not too much different lol just like a few million years older ;)

I HAVE!!! Too bad the soap was a double experiment that didnt turn out great! I sa this because I was feeling very risque and tried 2 totally new things hoping for a new cutting edge soap. The problem was that the soap had very little lather to it. This is what I did:
Shea Butter (Risk #1) 72.73%
Coconut Oil 20%
Beeswax 3.64%
Castor 3.64%
This was a 1365 gm oil batch. I did a 9% discount and added a 1/2C (volume) of the DE powder. After adding the DE I had to glop it into the mold. The soap got very hot...no insulation needed. It was the hardest bar of soap I have ever made and veryhard to cut. I know this isnt helping much but I made this when I was new to soaping and very experimental.

Let us know how it comes out. I want to try it again. I have 20lbs of that stuff here!

Haha I had to go look that up just cause I wanted to know more about it. Here is what Wikipedia says about it:

"Diatomaceous earth (pronounced /ˌdaɪ.ətɵˌmeɪʃəs ˈɜrθ/) also known as diatomite or kieselgur, is a naturally occurring, soft, siliceous sedimentary rock that is easily crumbled into a fine white to off-white powder. It has a particle size ranging from less than 1 micron to more than 1 millimeter, but typically 10 to 200 microns.[1] This powder has an abrasive feel, similar to pumice powder, and is very light, due to its high porosity. The typical chemical composition of oven dried diatomaceous earth is 80 to 90% silica, with 2 to 4% alumina (attributed mostly to clay minerals) and 0.5 to 2% iron oxide.[1]

Diatomaceous earth consists of fossilized remains of diatoms, a type of hard-shelled algae. It is used as a filtration aid, as a mild abrasive, as a mechanical insecticide, as an absorbent for liquids, as cat litter, as an activator in blood clotting studies, and as a component of dynamite. As it is also heat-resistant, it can be used as a thermal insulator."

I've used Pumice and it makes amazing gardener's and mechanic's soap. It also works well on calloused feet.

When I made it, the bar was not exfoliating in a big way. The powder is so fine so it wasnt scrubbing...but it did have a great skin feel.

Hazel said:
It's funny that you posted this about DE. I was just wondering if it was possible to use in soap. I have food grade DE and I drink about 1 T a day. I can verify it's good for the nails because mine have become very strong. I used to have problems with my nails being brittle and "peeling". I don't know if it's helped my skin and hair because I use so many different products I can't make a fair assessment.

Hmm...now that you've posted I'll definitely give it a try. I'll put it on my "to do" list for Saturday. :D
Where do you buy it that you trust it's food grade ?

Neat, one of my clients gave me some of this as a gift, for cleaning out the pipes :D It supposedly "scrubs" your digestive track. It's a super fine powder. I think I could spare some for soap. It's so fine I bet it would make better face scrub soap that the finest of pumice powder. Darn it and I just bought pumice. Oh well, can't complain about having too many soaping materials.

PrairieCraft said:
Neat, one of my clients gave me some of this as a gift, for cleaning out the pipes :D It supposedly "scrubs" your digestive track. It's a super fine powder. I think I could spare some for soap. It's so fine I bet it would make better face scrub soap that the finest of pumice powder. Darn it and I just bought pumice. Oh well, can't complain about having too many soaping materials.

I hear that! I honestly can't stop "collecting" soaping stuff.

PrairieCraft said:

Yes, it is very fine. It looks like flour and it does clean you out. :wink:

cwarren - You're welcome. Please let me know how you like it. I was on it about3-4 weeks before I noticed an improvement in my nails. I add a little juice into the water before I drink it because I think it has a "chalky" taste. The juice helps cover this taste.

Thanks so much for bringing this up! I am going to have to give this stuff a try, for soap and for me. lol

PLEASE SOMEONE LET ME KNOW HOW THIS TURNS OUT! I have already had one simi ruined batch of soap and I am not so eagar to try it again! I love earth powder though! I am wanting to start taking it again since I did not take it during my pregnancy because I wasnt sure how safe it was...and now I am nursing and am still unsure if I can take it! That stuff makes your nails grow so fast that it seems too darn fast...and my hair grew from my bra strap to my waist in a year from taking this stuff!

Best Natural Soap said:
Oh my... another ingredient to stuff into my soaping cabinet.... I think I'm becoming a hoarder!!!!!! :)
LOL I think I have the hoarding bug too .. ((( and I hate clutter too )) I just cant help myself --- :lol: I will post after I use it both ways , will be a while. I'm leaving to go visit my mom in Iowa for 2 weeks and I'm leaving tomorrow .. Yea me !

I just got back from visiting my mom in Michigan.... I'm starting to think she only wants me to come so I'll bring soap!!!

Have a great time!!

I gotta get some of that earth stuff (couldn't remember how to spell it!!). Can we just call it DE?
:)

That's what my sister and I call it because it's a lot easier (and faster) when we're having a conversation to say DE than diatomaceous earth.

Hazel said:
That's what my sister and I call it because it's a lot easier (and faster) when we're having a conversation to say DE than diatomaceous earth.
mmmmm - just how often does it actually come up in conversation? LOL

Latest posts

Back