using corondum crystals in cp soap

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

blacktiecatering

Reaction score
I am fairly new to the world of soap making, so I apologize if this is a dump question. I would like to make a soap using shea butter, aloe vera, and olive oil and add corundum crystals. got any help me with a recipe. or tell me where to go find a recipe

I have never heard of anyone using corundum in soap. So many other exfoliants are more readily available and perhaps better suited to use on the skin -- from oatmeal to pumice. Is your reason for wanting to use corundum just because you have some on hand? Or that you feel your skin needs to be treated with an abrasive of this type?

Otherwise, you already have your recipe -- olive oil and shea. Maybe keep the shea around 15% or so. Superfat and lye concentration of your choice. Aloe for the liquid. I suspect you're on your own for the amount of abrasive, but 1 tsp ppo might be a good place to start. Expect low lather and give it a long cure.

I would actually be worried about the aluminium oxide in corundum - aluminum and lye is a very bad reaction, and metal bits can cause DOS in soaps as well.

Why corundum instead of say, salt or pumice?

I think olive oil and shea are good in soap, but to make a better bar I think you'll want some coconut for lather and maybe castor too. And some palm or lard for hardness.

At first I thought you wanted to add rubies and sapphires to your soap!!

I would not use corundum in soap! It is aluminum oxide and will react with the sodium hydroxide to form hydrogen gas and sodium aluminate which forms a sodium-aluminum hydroxide in water. I don't think that would be harmful in the soap but I don't think that aluminum hydroxide is strong enough itself to react with the fats.

Try using another mineral as your abrasive like pumice or, even try organic matter like ground poppy seeds.

While I would never combine aluminum metal and lye, I wouldn't be overly worried about corundum and lye from a safety standpoint. (What I think of corundum as an exfoliant is another story.)

When you mix aluminum metal and lye, you get aluminum oxide and hydrogen gas. Corundum is already aluminum oxide, so the damage is already done, so to speak. ;)

ETA -- I stand corrected. Corundum reacts with NaOH to form sodium aluminate and more hydrogen gas. The resulting mixture will contain various ionic forms of aluminum oxide and sodium aluminate.

Last edited:
Back