Using coffee instead of water question

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Natalie

Reaction score
Say I was to make a CP soap and used (chilled)brewed coffee instead of water, and added coffee grounds at trace. If I added in an FO at trace would the coffee/lye solution and/or coffee grounds kill the FO's scent? Does that make any sense?

I've never made a soap with coffee and have been toying with the idea. I just don't want to waste my FO if the actual coffee is going to eliminate the scent.

I dont think the actual coffee liquid or grounds are going to offer much in the way of scent, I think that will get eaten up by the lye. Having said that, I would choose an fo that would be complimentary, like chocolate, or vanilla, or cinnamon, or something like that. I would use a rose fo with a coffee soap!! :p

Thanks for the fast reply!

I was thinking of using Hazlenut Coffee FO.....

Now I going backwards, if the lye is going to take away the scent of the coffee water, then what is the point of substituting coffee for water? I've heard of people doing this, but is there a benefit of using coffee?

Maybe I'll just use water instead, use the grounds and the hazlenut FO. I'm not in the mood for making a big stink from mixing lye and coffee tonight. When I made beer soap the smell was horrible, I've heard coffee is worse!

I used a concentrated homemade coffee hydrosol (a product in the distillation of coffee Arabica) instead if water. It has very strong coffee aroma. Also I added small amount of coffee Arabica seed oil and instant coffee dissolved in water to get the coffee colour. After adding a lye coffee hydrosol almost lost his aroma, but finally my soap has very natural delicate flavour of black coffee. I don’t like FO and prefer natural aroma, even if it’s not very strong. :roll:

I just made Hazelnut Coffee with grounds. The FO turned the soap dark brown so you probably don't need the coffee solution. Just my 2cents. Love it BTW.

Miss Melissa, that soap is beautiful~~!
I think originally coffee soap was made as a kitchen soap, the theory being that the coffee grounds/liquid will take stinky smells off the hands in the kitchen, ie fish, garlic, onion.
Topcat makes a lovely coffee soap, I used it in my morning shower to wake me up, it was so yummy!
And I think hazelnut coffee fo will go perfectly!

ChrissyB, thanks! I like it in my morning shower too. And I hope that there is something useful in fight against the cellulite. Is it pointless? :oops:

When I use strongly brewed coffee as my liquid, I can't say it smells much more than normal, although the scent of the coffee goes, it is a good deodouriser. Using the grounds does add a slight colour to the soap, but it is great for exfoliation. I use both, some of the fancy celulite creams have caffiene in them, so reckon that by brewing really strong coffee, and using that as your liquid, and using fresh coffee grounds, added with the exfoliating action, you could have a cellulite busting soap, well maybe :lol: I wouldn't like to make any claims! Try it though it does make a lovely soap!

I agree that it makes a lovely soap, and it does seem to remove more onion, garlic, stinky stuff from your hands than regular soap does.

I have a friend who owns a beauty shop, and she keeps a bar there all the time to wash the permanent wave solution off her hands....she swears by it.

i made coffee soap with grounds and coffee fo, and used coffee instead of water, i have a pic i just posted today, i did hp though, great for hand smells.

Thank you! :)
ChrissyB, I’m fascinated by handmaid cosmetics and often use caffeine in anticellulite creams. Is it possible, that lye added doesn’t destroy caffeine? How do you think? I’m not chemist unfortunately and I'm not good at chemistry… ((

I made a 665 . 356871..12
coffee
soap for the kitchen and I thought it smelled kinda dirty :( I used strongly brewed instant coffee for my liquid...coffee grinds for an exfoliant and cafe latte FO and the FO got all eaten up by the lye monster :cry: But overall it did take awful smells off my hands (garlic in particular) so I guess it's done it's job. :)

(sorry for the typos....my 2 year old thought she could "help mummy") :lol:

That soap is beautiful, Melissa! I wish mine came out like that, or close to it, or even halfway decent.

So I made the soap without the coffee, just added the grounds and FO at trace. Ugh, it siezed up, I quickly glopped it into the mold. Then it heated up and cracked slightly down the middle. I haven't even taken it out of the mold, not looking foward to that. I'll take it out later today, doubt it will be any good from the looks of it. At least my other soaps from last night came out right :D

Natalie, thank you! :)
I'm sorry to hear about your soap trouble (( I hope it will be great in usage!

Latest posts

Back