Using Coconut Cream in Soap

SoapMakingForum

Help Support SoapMakingForum:

ShelleyW

Reaction score
Good morning!

I have some coconut cream that my hubby accidentally bought for soaping instead of coconut milk. I figured I would give it a whirl in my next soap batch. Should I discount the water with the cream evenly, like replace 2 ozs. cream for 2 ozs. of water removed? Since it is so thick I am wondering if I shouldn't discount the full 2 ozs. of water.

Thanks!

cmzaha

Supporting Member
Reaction score
When using purees, milks, any liquids you use it as a equal water replacement. Coconut cream can thicken the batter quicker so do not water discount severly. Look on the can and see if it contains any gums, if it does and you are a new soaper I would only slightly water discount if any discount.

fuzz-juzz

Reaction score
I would add a little bit more water just in case.
What's the % of fat in it. 2 oz is not much, but in case you end up using more, I would lower SF by maybe 0.5-1%.

Jstar

Reaction score
Funny this question was asked, because I just bought some coconut cream when I went to buy my regular coconut milk..I had seen a recipe somewhere where the lady doing the tutorial was making whipped cream from the coconut cream instead of the regular dairy whipping cream for a pie..I thought..hmmm how would this be in soap? :lol::lol:

Soaping101 has a video for pumpkin pie soap, and she just adds a good squeeze of whipped topping to her batter and stirs it in....

Now, I use 100% coconut milk in place of my water...but since coconut cream is actually condensed, Im wondering if I should 'hydrate' it a bit with water and use it as I normally would use my milks {100%} or if it would be better to just add some condensed cream into my oils when I add my clays and FO's....

ShelleyW

Reaction score
Thank you. Since it is so thick, I just added it after the cook (HP) and did not discount the water. It came out amazing. I will let it sit for a week to dry but I used a small bit left over in the pot and it was really creamy and bubbly. :thumbup:

Caged Raven

Reaction score
Thanks all for this discussion. I am planning an all coconut soap, using coconut oil, coconut milk and coconut cream. I will be adding the cream as a super fat when I add my coconut fragrance oil. Although this is high in saturated fats (89:11 ratio) and will make a very hard bar, I am still hopeful (as I tried to raise the super fat amount to help the balance). Trial and error, that's the fun in soap making.

LOL! This turned out to be my first botched batch of soap. The batter went from pour-able to dry and crumbly in SECONDS. In fact my stick blender got stuck in it, while I was scraping the last of the fragrance oil into the mix....lol. I just had to laugh. Experience really is the greatest teacher.

Last edited by a moderator:

Grizzthegreen

Reaction score
Did anyone come up with a successful recipe using coconut cream?
Do i substitute oils, or discount any water?

Thanks all for this discussion. I am planning an all coconut soap, using coconut oil, coconut milk and coconut cream. I will be adding the cream as a super fat when I add my coconut fragrance oil. Although this is high in saturated fats (89:11 ratio) and will make a very hard bar, I am still hopeful (as I tried to raise the super fat amount to help the balance). Trial and error, that's the fun in soap making.

LOL! This turned out to be my first botched batch of soap. The batter went from pour-able to dry and crumbly in SECONDS. In fact my stick blender got stuck in it, while I was scraping the last of the fragrance oil into the mix....lol. I just had to laugh. Experience really is the greatest teacher.

DeeAnna

Reaction score
"..Do i substitute oils, or discount any water?..."

It depends. Without a nutrition label, there's no way to say yes or no.

Coconut cream may be high enough in fat that you should calculate the actual fat content and include that fat weight in your recipe calculations. Here's how to do this -- https://classicbells.com/soap/nutritionLabel.asp

penelopejane

Reaction score
^^^so is my coconut cream so I do the same and adjust for extra fat. I like low SF soap. I only use coconut cream or milk that has not additives at all. No gum, thickners, sugar etc.

Liesel Atwood

Supporting Member
Reaction score
What brand of coconut cream do you buy? Where I live (NS) I can get coconut milk,(I get it in a can) but there is nothing with "cream" on the label.

Latest posts