Using CAPB instead of SLSA in bath bombs?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Anstarx

Reaction score
I've made basic bath bombs so far and had been successful with them. Now I want to make the bombs more bubbly and try to follow some bubble bar recipe from soap queen.
However, I can't find any proper SLSA suppliers here, locally or online. The only ones I can find are either super expensive or I will have to find ways to contact some drug company who apparently use SLSA in medicine...

Anyway, I found an online chemical store that sells CAPB both in liquid and powder form. It's marked as CAB-35. Description from the store stating it was used for hand wash, shampoo, and mild cleanser. I've read in the forum that you can use CAPB as surfactant to make shampoo bars and had seen it in commercial bubble bath so I wonder if I could use it in place of SLSA safely? If I can use it, should I get the liquid or powder form?

I'm not expecting a full on bubble bath but just add more bubble to my bath bombs. I do still want to get SLSA from the drug company but that could take weeks while I could have CAPB shipped to me within 3 days.

P.S. on a side note, I did find SLS from the same store. I know it's harsher than SLSA but I use shampoo and body wash containing SLS without any negative feeling. I wonder how would it act in bath bomb?

I use liquid cocomidopropyl betaine in my bath bombs at less than 1%, and it works ok. It produces a little foam but never really bubbles. You just have to be careful, because it will activate the mixture a bit if you don't mix quickly. A powdered form would probably be better.
If you are ok with SLS, that would work too.
I wanted to make a "bubble bomb" for awhile and tried all sorts of surfactants in my bomb recipe. I had mixed results and eventually concluded that I could never get enough surfactants into a bath bomb to make the recipe worthwhile. So, if you find the magic mixture, let us know!

Capb will not give you bubbles what about Bioterge 90? It can replace Slsa but it is not as bubbly as slsa

Capb will not give you bubbles what about Bioterge 90? It can replace Slsa but it is not as bubbly as slsa
Bioterge 90 as in Olefin Sulfonate? I did a search but couldn't find any. Brand name chemicals are pretty much non-existent here.
However, I did found SLES, sodium lauroyl sarcosinate, coco glucoside and SCI in the same store I found CAPB. Maybe any of these can be a good bubbly substitute?

I did got the SLS and could use it for myself but still hope to find a gentle surfactant as I want my sensitive skin friends would be able to use my bath bombs as well.

Edited:
I found Bioterge! Took me some effort and some back and forth with customer service but turns out it's under a different name and affordable. But I still wonder how's it's bubble-ness comparing to other surfactants listed above....

Last edited:
I use slsa, using bioterge does not give me much of bubbles. Sorry I had not give you the inci name; Sodium C14-16 Olefin Sulfonate
many people use it in combination with a bit of slsa. I would not use SLS it is very irritating :) Capb will activate the bombs and it is not that bubbly . Good luck :)

I use slsa, using bioterge does not give me much of bubbles. Sorry I had not give you the inci name; Sodium C14-16 Olefin Sulfonate
many people use it in combination with a bit of slsa. I would not use SLS it is very irritating :) Capb will activate the bombs and it is not that bubbly . Good luck :)
Thanks, guess I will have to order different surfactants and try

Latest posts

Back