Using Borax in HP bar soap

Discussion in 'Beginners Soap Making Forum' started by mcdougal7, Oct 12, 2017.

1. Oct 12, 2017 #1

mcdougal7

mcdougal7

mcdougal7

I would like to try borax in HP bar soap. One recipe I found said dissolve borax in water before adding lye. Just wondering if there would be a problem adding it to water for lye if you also add salt to the water. Are there alternate methods for adding the borax to the soap? If so, what is the preferred or best method of adding it? I could always leave out the salt if I needed to. Also, I've seen the amount of borax that was used was quite a range - from .23% to 5.555% borax of the amount of oil. Anyone have tips on using borax in body soap, not laundry soap?

2. Oct 12, 2017 #2

SudsanSoaps

SudsanSoaps

SudsanSoaps

I added some to a mechanics bar. I didn't know of any recipe so I just added it and rosin salt straight in after it was cooked. Made the soap a bit grainy or scrubby but that's what I wanted.

Just remembering I believe I read on here that you don't want borax in contact with the lye. Hopefully someone can share more in that.

mcdougal7 likes this.
  3. Oct 12, 2017 #3

mx6inpenn

mx6inpenn

mx6inpenn

I've made a hand soap with it. I masterbatch lye 1:1 so the balance of water for the recipe was used to dissolve the borax. I used 2% oil weight and added it to the oils before adding lye solution.

mcdougal7 likes this.
  4. Oct 12, 2017 #4

artemis

artemis

artemis

Mostly Harmless

There are a few spots here on the forum in which Earlene talks about using borax in CP. I would guess you would do the same for HP. Did you have any trouble finding those posts?

Edit: here is a link to one of them: http://www.soapmakingforum.com/showthread.php?t=64881