Using black colorants?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Soapers, I want to make black soap but want to avoid black bubbles or 'bleeding' on washcloths. Researching charcoal and black oxide here makes me nervous. So I'm wondering about using half-strength charcoal and half-strength black oxide? Has anyone done that already? Any tips? Thanks!

I'm a charcoal girl. Can't say I've had problems with transference onto washcloths, not any that lasts through the final rinse off anyway. I don't use white though, always coloured, so not the best to answer your question.

Never used oxides but lots of charcoal and yes, it always washes away... Just gonna have grey lather, grey water droplets on the sink and grey washcloth (if it's white) until you wash em lol

Also, my charcoal is kinda scrubby so there's a light exfoliating factor too, which my son loves.

I'm a charcoal girl. Can't say I've had problems with transference onto washcloths, not any that lasts through the final rinse off anyway. I don't use white though, always coloured, so not the best to answer your question.

Charcoal always discolors my lighter wash rags. I steer clear of black oxide. I'm not sure my skin can handle it.

You know whats weird, I've seen people say that charcoal stains and mica doesnt

I use charcoal for all my black soaps, quite a large amount, and the only one that has ever produced grey/black lather was the one I used black mica in

You know whats weird, I've seen people say that charcoal stains and mica doesnt

I use charcoal for all my black soaps, quite a large amount, and the only one that has ever produced grey/black lather was the one I used black mica in
Hmm...how much do you use? It’s been awhile since I’ve used charcoal, but I don’t think I really had any problems with it. I don’t make all black soaps either though. I’m on vacation, so can’t check my usage rates.

Hmm...how much do you use? It’s been awhile since I’ve used charcoal, but I don’t think I really had any problems with it. I don’t make all black soaps either though. I’m on vacation, so can’t check my usage rates.

Admittedly I don't really.measure ...

I make 2.2kg batches and if I want a good black I probably use at least a teaspoon if not a heaped teaspoon

The soap I’ve got in my shower now is black, how convenient.

I used a mica, I think it was black luster from brambleberry but am not sure (it was from a brambleberry earth tone sampler if I’m remembering right). I don’t get black leather and it doesn’t stain my white tub (but I don’t use wash cloths to know if there would be a weird difference). The soap is over 2 years old and I don’t remember my usage rates, but it was probably .5-1 tsp in roughly 1lb of soap batter.

I’ve also never had much of an issue with charcoal. Don’t know if that has to do with the base colors of my oils (not covering something like the olive oil tinge) or if it’s because I’m not usually looking for a true “darker that satan’s soul” type black.

I'm another Charcoal user. Never had it stain anything. I make pretty black soaps with it. I do have some black mica but generally grab the charcoal. Even if I get a light grey lather I've never had it stain a washcloth or my tub.

I use charcoal but only to a rate of roughly 1 to 1.5 tsp per lb of finished soap. What is the maximum that you use without getting a drying soap? My secret to very dark soap, without washcloth problems, has been to use other ingredients that had turned batters very dark. Essentially therefore, charcoal only take the darkness of the soap to the next level. These other ingredients include cinnamon powder, banana, brown sugar and even having yellow palm oil as a base oil. Happy for any other natural, easily accessible ingredient ideas that turns the batter dark.

ps. Never used oxides!

As long as you are not using carbon black, you should be ok with black oxide. I think carbon black is also called D&C black #2

I use 1 tsp ppo of activated charcoal mixed with 1/32 tsp. (a smidge amount if you have those pinch/dash/smidge measuring spoons) as my go-to black in my soaps. I purposely use white washcloths in my shower so I can test out my colored soaps, and my charcoal soaps using this amount ppo gives me white suds, but they do color my washcloths a very faint grey when showering..... which rinses right out under the shower head, easy peasy. It does not leave any stains behind.

This is the level of black that 1 tsp charcoal mixed with 1/32 tsp black oxide ppo gives my soaps:

IMG_4556NagChampa640.JPG

IrishLass :)

I use 1 tsp ppo of activated charcoal mixed with 1/32 tsp. (a smidge amount if you have those pinch/dash/smidge measuring spoons) as my go-to black in my soaps. I purposely use white washcloths in my shower so I can test out my colored soaps, and my charcoal soaps using this amount ppo gives me white suds, but they do color my washcloths a very faint grey when showering..... which rinses right out under the shower head, easy peasy. It does not leave any stains behind.

This is the level of black that 1 tsp charcoal mixed with 1/32 tsp black oxide ppo gives my soaps:

View attachment 43827

DH asked me what was the matter. Apparently I gasped out loud when I saw your post. Gorgeous soaps IrishLass!!!

The soap I’ve got in my shower now is black, how convenient.

I used a mica, I think it was black luster from brambleberry but am not sure (it was from a brambleberry earth tone sampler if I’m remembering right). I don’t get black leather and it doesn’t stain my white tub (but I don’t use wash cloths to know if there would be a weird difference). The soap is over 2 years old and I don’t remember my usage rates, but it was probably .5-1 tsp in roughly 1lb of soap batter.

I’ve also never had much of an issue with charcoal. Don’t know if that has to do with the base colors of my oils (not covering something like the olive oil tinge) or if it’s because I’m not usually looking for a true “darker that satan’s soul” type black.
I also got BB black luster in that earthtones pack, but couldn't get more the last time I ordered. Apparently they no longer have it? Sad, cause I liked it. But I've been very happy with the results charcoal's given me.

View attachment 43827

I am agog. Your soaps are stunning.

View attachment 43827

Gorgeous!

Also remember that every batch of AC will be slightly different so if you think you have it worked out perfectly when you buy a new batch you might have to test it.

Stickblending AC into your oils with produce a vastly different colour using the same amount of AC as hand blending the AC in.

I use 2.25 level tsp of very fine AC in 850g of oils and SB it for a dark colour that doesn't run or discolour. My colour is a bit darker than IrishLass's. I use the same tsp every time as I have found tsps are not all the exact same size and I don't scoop it up and press it against the side of the container. I gently scoop it up and scrape off the top of the tsp with a paddle pop stick.

I know this is obsessive but if you want the exact same colour every time you need to be a tiny bit obsessive. Your FO may also effect the colour.

Latest posts

Back