Using activated charcoal and tea tree oil...

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DoctorCrowley

Reaction score
A friend of mine has requested a charcoal and tea tree oil soap. Normally I use regular old FO's and Micas. Is there anything different about either of these compared to micas and FOs that I need to be aware of?

I disperse my Activated Charcoal in some distilled water prior to making soap (1teaspoon Activate Charcoal PPO with 1 tablespoon water per teaspoon of AC) and soap very cool (usually 85ish degrees) The activated charcoal can absorb the batch water and accelerate the soap. One of my regular soaps for my daughter is a Activated charcoal soap with Lavender/Tea Tree/Frankincense EO blend. I often ending up blobbing the batch into the mold because it thickened up quickly on me!

Is there anything different about either of these compared to micas and FOs that I need to be aware of?
If you use too much Activated Charcoal (I like the powder; less scratchy) the lather is grey and gets on the washcloth. I used 2 teaspoons PPO in THIS RECIPE to get a lovely black soap. In hindsight, I think 1 teaspoon would have been sufficient.

I often ending up blobbing the batch into the mold because it thickened up quickly on me!
Australian Tea Tree EO accelerates trace for me. Best to hand stir it in for one full minute rather than using a Stick Blender. :thumbs:

ETA: I subbed lard for the palm in the above recipe. Lovely soap. Fragrance sticks -- I think due to the lard and dry ingredient. ;)

Make sure to use a fragrance calculator to determine amount of Tea Tree EO as I find I need a larger amount of EOs versus fragrance oils to be effective. Fact is for most EOs i use about 1 ounce per pound of oil. But please check a fragrance calculator as you do not want to create an irritating (or unsafe) soap.

Did you use the coconut carbon powder in that recipe for African Black Soap? If yes, have you used in other recipes & liked it?
Yes. BUT. That title "African Black Soap" is no where near the actual texture of ABS if you've ever used it (?) ...except for how gently exfoliating it is for faces and sensitive skin. I called my bars, "Activated Charcoal Soap." I have not used it in any other recipes, but thought about coloring 1/6th of a batch to make an In-the-Pot Swirl. I bought a soap like that from a local soap maker. DH loved it! :thumbs:

For usage rates, see Find Free Essential Oil Blends - Modern Soapmaking . Scent is so idiosyncratic and personal. I personally would not do a 100% tea tree eo because it's too medicinal smelling -- but clearly it's a best seller by itself too.
Charcoal powder is extremely fine so careful to not spill between measuring and adding to batter. I do 1 tsp ppo and mix it right into the batter.

it's too medicinal smelling
When I received my first order of Tea Tree, I did what I always do with a new scent, I put a few drops on a cotton ball for sniffing. A while later, when I walked into the family room, I asked "What stinks in here? It smells like dirty gym socks!" Turns out, it was the TT cotton ball on the table right next to my chair. 😝

I've gotten used to it, though. In soap it smells like grass/dirt. Not too bad. 😄

ETA: I use MMS Fragrance Calc for CP Soap. 8 mls PPO

Last edited:
…A while later, when I walked into the family room, I asked "What stinks in here? It smells like dirty gym socks!" Turns out, it was the TT cotton ball on the table right next to my chair. 😝

I've gotten used to it, though. In soap it smells like grass/dirt. Not too bad. 😄

ETA: I use MMS Fragrance Calc for CP Soap. 8 mls PPO
There was a bad louse/lice outbreak 😷 in my girls school when they were much younger. Anyway, one of my DD has SENSITIVE skin so we made shampoo with tea tree do & thyme eo (orange in color). I happen to like that combo, yes medicinal but I liked it none the less. Found recipe for de-lice shampoo from “Home Herbal” by Penelope Ody. Worked fabulously. Sure ❤ that📕! Anyway, my girls however, to this day, dislike the smell of tea tree & think of lice when they smell it. 😂

Last edited:
Anyway, my girls however, to this day, dislike the smell of tea tree & think of lice when they smell it.
Off topic but... my daughter is the same way about mayonaise (we tried the mayo mask for treating lice when we had a really bad outbreak - nonstop for 2 years! Worst time in my life.) We finally found an herbal based treatment that worked for her and didn't put me in the poor house.

As for the tea tree and charcoal soap: if I remember correctly tea tree can be used safely at 6% - but it is dang strong at that rate. I know the batch I made never lost its fragrance. For charcoal I find a little goes a long way. I found I never had to make my charcoal soaps black in order to be effective, I used a conservative 1tbsp for a 2lb batch - but if I did want them to be black I would also add a bit of dark blue mica. I didn't find it accelerated my batch.

Charcoal always thickens my batter pretty quickly; as @violets2217 said, it is probably absorbing water more than actually accelerating. It also ashes like crazy for me, no matter what I do including spray, cover, gel, AND low water. Fortunately it is just surface ash most of the time, and it comes off with the first or second wash, never to return after that.

I make a charcoal blend soap, i call tuxedo.
I take half of my batch and add charcoal, then swirl the two.
I understand that a majority of the people on this forum use fragrance, but I only use eos. I don't use a stick blender once my eos are added .... and I pour into my loaf molds quickly after :)
20210817_082415.jpg

If you use too much Activated Charcoal (I like the powder; less scratchy) the lather is grey and gets on the washcloth. I used 2 teaspoons PPO in THIS RECIPE to get a lovely black soap. In hindsight, I think 1 teaspoon would have been sufficient.

Australian Tea Tree EO accelerates trace for me. Best to hand stir it in for one full minute rather than using a Stick Blender. :thumbs:

ETA: I subbed lard for the palm in the above recipe. Lovely soap. Fragrance sticks -- I think due to the lard and dry ingredient. ;)
I have consistently had problems with one of my soaps that uses lavender, peppermint, and Tea Tree oils. I have searched and searches to see which of the oils (other than the lavender) was causing the acceleration. Everywhere I have looked said neither peppermint nor tea tree accelerated. I am so happy to see your comment about the Australia Tea Tree Oil (that is exactly what I use) and will now move forward using the correct tool! thank you thank you thank you!.
I make all the soaps for our son and his family’s business and, of course, one of the favorite soaps is the one containing the tea tree oil and peppermint, in addition to the lavender. I have been “fussing” with this for over a year.
I just love this group!

Back