Using a steam iron to remove soda ash

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Greenmeadow

Reaction score
Just thought to share how I've removed the soda ash today on a lavender soap I've made it last weekend . Personally,I think this method is effective, only takes 1min or so , just using a steam iron with no hassle and no additional costs (to purchase a proper steamer) . I've put up pics before and after in comparison Hope that helps !

image.jpg

Last edited:
Soda ash doesn't bother me as I don't sell (or make as pretty soaps!) but I'll give it a go. I'm good at soda ash!!!!!!!!

I've also washed or box steamed soaps to remove ash. Last weekend I picked up a clothes steamer at a rummage sale for $2 (still in the box!!) That I gave a go to one set of bars that had ashed badly. It worked slick.

I think it's Arianne Arsenault (La Fille de la Mer) who rinses off the top of her soap loaf while it's still in the mold. Apparently that works pretty slick. Not sure if she has made a video that shows her doing this or if she just talked about it.

I think it's Arianne Arsenault (La Fille de la Mer) who rinses off the top of her soap loaf while it's still in the mold. Apparently that works pretty slick. Not sure if she has made a video that shows her doing this or if she just talked about it.

She has a video.

I pull mine out of the mold and give a quick rinse before cutting. I let it dry for a few hours then cut. So much easier that cleaning individual bars.

bees wax

bees wax at .5 percent clears up soap ash..
i use a pvc pipe mold so i only get ash on one end of the soap.. which i cut off..

Latest posts

Back