Using a seized batch to your advantage

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Fargood

Reaction score
I've only ever had two batches seize up on me. One I was able to rebatch fairly effectively, the other one was frankincense, so I glopped it into the molds and let it cure. I was wondering if anyone has ever been able to use seizing to their advantage? For instance, would it be possible to purposefully have a portion seize and then manipulate it or roll it out for purposes of curls or landscape design?

I don't know about manipulation of the soap, but if you know a fragrance is going to firm up faster, you can use that to your advantage with layered soaps in a couple of ways. One is to only add that fragrance to your first layer. It will firm up nicely by the time your ready to move on to the second layer. Another is to add it to each portion just before you pour. Does that make sense? If you search the forum a little for accelerating fragrances, you might find more ideas.

I sometimes do what Artemis describes -- add an accelerating FO to a portion of soap, pour the scented batter into the mold, do my decorative thing as the soap firms up from the FO, repeat to make the next layer, etc. I don't think I'd do this with an FO that is so fast it causes the soap to seize in the pot -- that's moving too fast to be useful to me. Maybe it works for some. If I have an FO or EO that moves that fast, I add it to the soap as the very last thing, stir briefly by hand, and pour (or glop) immediately into the mold. If I do decorative stuff, it's with a portion of the batter that doesn't have the scent in it at all.

For example, I do a gardener's soap that's poured in two layers -- a bottom scrubby layer with finely ground coffee and a white not-scrubby top layer. The soap is scented with an EO blend that includes thyme EO. Thyme, if you're not paying strict attention, might cause the soap to seize in the pot. The thyme EO only goes in the batter for the bottom coffee layer, so if I have to glop that layer into the mold, I can still get a successful outcome. I only use well behaved EOs in the top layer so I know I can pour the batter (not glop) and I can get a nice looking surface.

I use combinations that move fast to make soaps where I want to gel quickly, without adding extra heat, so I can move on to the next step sooner (like soap balls and soap sand), and to make soap designs that need a thicker batter (eg. layers and some swirls).

Latest posts

Back