Using 2 bases.

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Krickkrick

Reaction score
Hello. So I want to make a melt and pour soap using 2 bases, one white base and one clear (translucent)

Iv seen many soaps done using 2 bases. BUT my question is ....how would you do that on a CPSR as your only allowed 1 base. How does it work when applying for a cpsr and using 2 bases? If this makes sense.

Thanks

I haven't tried the process myself, but my understanding is that you can buy cheap "off the shelf" CPSR packages which tend to come with a lot of restrictions, or you can pay more for a "bespoke" assessment which may or may not get approved depending on exactly what you submit.

Maybe the people using two bases are on a bespoke assessment?

Clarification: it is a legal requirement in the UK and EU. It is not a legal requirement in the US. I don't know about India, which is the country listed by the person who asked the question. :)
Things are very different in India. You need a Cosmetic Manufacturing License or Aayush License (Organic products) to make and sell soaps commercially. The procedure to take these licenses is very lengthy and difficult.

Providing you use the same melt and pour base (just a clear and white version) most of the assessment companies treat it as the same - the only difference with the white is that it contains the white colourant pre mixed - you can do the same by just adding titanium dioxide to the clear base to make white.

By same product I mean (for example) Stevenson’s M&P (whatever) White and the exact same but clear version.

If your mixing different brands of base or variations such as a plain clear base and a white Shea butter you’ll have problems.

So you're want to know how to circumvent the law...is that the gist of it?

Hello. So I want to make a melt and pour soap using 2 bases, one white base and one clear (translucent)

Iv seen many soaps done using 2 bases. BUT my question is ....how would you do that on a CPSR as your only allowed 1 base. How does it work when applying for a cpsr and using 2 bases? If this makes sense.

Thanks
Hi @Krickkrick!

I think I know what you mean. You want a make a duo toned soap, and having one white and one translucent base in one soap will make you having more room to play with colors, swirls, etc. Am I correct assuming this?

Do as @Obsidian said, and contact an safety asessor. They will help you answering questions you need answered before settling on a recipe. It will not cost you anything as they want to help you on your way, and you don`t have to sign a contract before doing so..

But if they do - Pm me if you want to know the assessor company I used. They are UK based, very friendly, and happily answered questions I had before buying assessment packages from them.
They are not attached to a soap supply company that assess products using their stuff, but are free standing.

But to address the colors:
Why not just get one transparent base assessed of your choice, and just add white color, depending on your design? So you don`t actually have to have two separate bases to work with, just the one.

I.e if you want a soap that is 50% white and 50% transparent, with swirls, you can just add titanium dioxide/zinc oxide or other white color, to half the transparent base, and leave the rest of base uncolored, or with glitters etc. Fragrance it according to your wish, swirl/layer those together and this will be 1 variation.
(just remember, no fragrance with Lyral or Lilian in it! It will not go through)

Then you can do the same things over again, but with other colors and fragrances to alternate with the part of the base you wish to be white.

Now, you may ask if it isn`t just as well to have those two separate bases assessed anyway, instead of having to add white color to the transparent base?

Well, no matter how you go about it, all ingredients must be added into the assessment anyway, so having just one base to focus on/purchase, and coloring it according to your design, makes you only having to purchase 1 base, instead of juggling two.

It is like baking a cake, and color the one part with cocoa and keep the other one plain. Swirl the two together, and you have a duo-toned cake with 50% chocolate and 50% vanilla. No need to work with two completely made separate cake batters and then mix them together.
And also perhaps cheaper if you can purchase larger quantities of the base, and get a discount.

But of course, that is how I would have done it, and you might find it unpractical. I don`t know how much experience you have with m&p soap, but I have been using it since 2000, so it is kind of (*cough*) embedded in me...
Feel free to ask more questions if I have been unclear on something, happy to help:)

Providing you use the same melt and pour base (just a clear and white version) most of the assessment companies treat it as the same - the only difference with the white is that it contains the white colourant pre mixed - you can do the same by just adding titanium dioxide to the clear base to make white.

By same product I mean (for example) Stevenson’s M&P (whatever) White and the exact same but clear version.

If your mixing different brands of base or variations such as a plain clear base and a white Shea butter you’ll have problems.
You can, but only if it is already specifically cleared with the safety assessor. There is no leeway regarding adding anything that is not already cleared with the assessor, written down in the recipe (even if it is a m&p soap base) and stated in the final documents. That is at least my experience.

So you're want to know how to circumvent the law...is that the gist of it?

I am not sure I follow your thinking? Circumvent the law? She is simply wondering how to get two separate M&P bases safety assessed as one (making a soap with white m&p mixed with clear) when applying for a CPSR, because the safety assesments generally speaks about one base at a time. I have it in my papers too. I am not reading her question as she want to do anything illegal. Quite the oposite.

Back