Useful Guides for Making Soaps

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

AliceMitchel

Reaction score
Hi guys,
I recently found some useful How to guides for soap making. I've tried some of them but the easiest one for me without using lye is. It will be a good think to share some of yours recipes for soap making. I will appreciate it!

Last edited by a moderator:
You do understand, I hope, that the soap base that they are telling you to purchase was made with lye, right? I promise you that it was, unless it is a detergent based soap. This soap base is also known as Melt and Pour (AKA MP). We have a whole forum for Melt and Pour.

I agree with Susie, you can not have soap without lye, that include Melt and Pour which many call glycerin soap. Otherwise they are made with detergents and are not true soap.

I suggest you do more research to see that what we are telling you is true. There are a lot of scaremongers on the interwebs.

Welcome to the forum! In your article they specify
1. Buy uncoloured soap base. The soap base has already been pre-processed, which means that the saponification of fat has been done.*
So lye was already added. If you're already aware and were giving advice for those that may be scared of lye or not quite ready to begin using it, and if you are interested in melt and pour soaps (mp soap), then hop on over to the mp soap section for a ton of info on mp soaps!
:)
Also feel free to introduce yourself and let us get to know you better too.

That website is pretty sketchy. They are trying to sell SOMETHING, but I can't tell what. It reads like the emails I get from Nigerian princes.

And, seriously, Alice, you join this forum, and your FIRST post is this?

I get so frustrated with web pages like this one..."from scratch".... whether it's soap making from scratch or cooking/baking from scratch. If you're using any kind of processed product, it's no longer from scratch. You're using a pre-made product to make something else. From scratch means that you're making the entire item from individual ingredients, not pre-made soap base (in this case) melted down, with the addition of other ingredients. That (as far as I'm concerned) is like paint by number.

My apologies to the true artists out there who do amazing work with m&p. Just don't call it making soap from scratch.

(rant over.... sorry)

Vanilla

Hi I have used melt and pour to make soap for sometime now and have had no trouble at all,but a few weeks ago,I got some mica colours,and some vanilla perfume and the soap has gone a dark grey, can anyone help

I thought it was spam when I read it from my Ipad this morning and it's still a bit sketchy. Will keep an eye open to it.

Last edited:
Hi guys,
I recently found some useful How to guides for soap making. I've tried some of them but the easiest one for me without using lye is this one . It will be a good think to share some of yours recipes for soap making. I will appreciate it!

Welcome to THE place to learn about soap and soaping.

No lye, NO SOAP.

MP soapers are a bit different than those of us that are form scratch hand made soapers. There is an entire language here so please do read through the stickies in the beginners section. In addition to te MP section there are sections on candle making, liquid soaps etc... .

Stick around and learn as much and as fast as you care to.

Steve

Hi I have used melt and pour to make soap for sometime now and have had no trouble at all,but a few weeks ago,I got some mica colours,and some vanilla perfume and the soap has gone a dark grey, can anyone help

You will probably get more helpful info if you post this question in the MP forum. But my guess is the "vanilla perfume". Where did you get it? Perfume is not suitable for soapmaking.

I get so frustrated with web pages like this one..."from scratch".... whether it's soap making from scratch or cooking/baking from scratch. If you're using any kind of processed product, it's no longer from scratch. You're using a pre-made product to make something else. From scratch means that you're making the entire item from individual ingredients, not pre-made soap base (in this case) melted down, with the addition of other ingredients. That (as far as I'm concerned) is like paint by number.

My apologies to the true artists out there who do amazing work with m&p. Just don't call it making soap from scratch.

(rant over.... sorry)
I have to agree with the Made from Scratch. My daughter does beautiful mp and uses quality bases.. but I do not call them handmade. I do have a couple facial bars that are truly handmade since I make the base. Friday there was another new selling soap in my market advertised as "Handmade all Organic" they are manufactured melt and pour fruits and veggies that I have seen in several markets

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back