Used my SB and it traced in less than 5 min!

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PrincessMommy

Reaction score
Is that a good thing or a bad thing?

I was making a small batch. I tried to go between SB and using a whisk. Last time I used the SB on a different recipe it also traced very quickly and now I'm wondering if its doing it too fast.

Any thoughts?

With my RTCP and my recipe, I hardly use my SB any more. I use a big stainless steel whisk. I pour at very light trace, and hardly have to stir for more that 4 to 5 minutes. :wink:

Paul

If it came out okay or comes out okay then it's not a bad thing.

However, it is possible to over SB and cause problems, not the least of which may be burning out your SB. Do not operate it continuously but rather use it in 30-45 second blasts, and then wait 2-3 minutes before repeating. Stop using it if it gets warm or hot, and let it cool down or you'll burn it out.

I think of the SB the same way as my gas pedal on my car. The more you use it the faster you're going. You may SB away and suddenly find your soap seizing, with no way to slow it down. I'd rather sneak up on trace a bit slowly so things don't get out of hand. Over use of a SB could cause seizing.

I have a theory and no proof. I hear stories from newbies who got trace and poured it into their mold, but the next day it was all liquid and separated. My theory is that you can whip up your oils and lye water into an emulsion where air is incorporated into the mixture and the batter gets a heavier consistency. Think of making mayonnaise where you whip oil and vinegar and egg whites together. I think you can whip up soap like that if you hit it too hard with your SB and give the appearance of trace when it's not trace at all but rather just whipped up and emulsified. Anyway that's my theory to explain how newbie gets trace but next day it's all separated. None of my batches have ever separated so I don't know if over-use of a SB can cause what I theorize.

Anyway you should use your SB judiciously and in moderation. You probably can over-do it.

Soapmaker Man said:
With my RTCP and my recipe, I hardly use my SB any more. I use a big stainless steel whisk. I pour at very light trace, and hardly have to stir for more that 4 to 5 minutes. :wink:

Paul

What is an RTCP??

Lovehound,

Hmmm, you have an interesting point. It definitely had that mayonnaise consistency. However, this has happened before and it turned out okay...I'm just a bit concerned because it seems to happen a lot with a SB. I think my next batch I'm just going to use a whisk and see what I get.

Anyway, I'm dying to check out my soap and I'm trying to keep my hands away from the cooler.

Soapmaker Man said:
Greg, that is what we call "false trace." :)

Paul
Is that CAUSED by over use of a SB?

As far as my "SB caused trace" theory, if it's false trace it will go away. If it's real trace it will get thicker as time goes on.

And 'Mommy, don't give up your SB. Just use it judiciously, 30-45 seconds every 2-3 minutes. The SB is a great tool, too good to deprive yourself. Like any tool, just use it wisely.

PrincessMommy said:
Soapmaker Man said:

Paul

What is an RTCP?

It stands for Room Temperature Cold Process. It has been used for several years now, but I have adapted a new process of RTCP. I'll find my RTCP tutorial and post the link.

Here you go;

http://soapmakingforum.com/forum/viewto ... p+tutorial

Paul :wink:

:shock: I hit trace in about 2 mins flat.....Thick trace in about three. I consistently use my SB for a full two mins...then wip a spatula around the bowl and SB for another min...

I do a modified RTCP...cool oils, hot lye- trace temp about 98 to 105 degrees....

I also have a massive lack of patience :oops: :twisted:

Paul, I knew if I was patient you would post the link to the RTCP tutorial, and there it is! I'm impressed that you can leave out that many steps and it still works.

Soapmaker Man said:
I'll be happy to answer any other questions you may have! :wink:
Yeah, in fact, I do have a question:

What is the meaning of the Universe?

PrincessMommy said:
Lovehound said:
Yeah, in fact, I do have a question:

What is the meaning of the Universe?

the answer is:42

:lol: :lol: I see we read the same books.

Just continue hand stirring with the SB when you turn it off.

Digit

Back