Used fry oil soap....

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The Classic Bells website is very much functional. I'm the site owner and administrator. And it's the main way for me to make my living, so I use it a fair bit almost every day.

The Classic Bells website is very much functional. I'm the site owner and administrator. And it's the main way for me to make my living, so I use it a fair bit almost every day.
I'm not sure if it was a momentary thing when I tried the link the other day (I got a DNS error) but I can access the page fine now :)

If I'm updating the particular webpage you want to view, you might see an error briefly. That kind of error only lasts while the file is being uploaded to my website -- usually well under a minute per interruption.

Sometimes my internet service provider does updates and other maintenance work. My ISP is based in California, and they often do their maintenance at night. That's fine for people living in North American time zones, but not so good for people living in other parts of the world.

This is my triple rendered bacon fat soap. I use cocoa powder, coffee, and beer for the liquid.

Attachments

• 8090EA8A-300A-4C4B-89FD-CC1A73193606.jpeg
    8090EA8A-300A-4C4B-89FD-CC1A73193606.jpeg
    183.1 KB · Views: 10
Cool, I've been looking for info on this sort of thing!

One question I still have is whether the frying process changes the saponification factor in any meaningful way. I know there are a lot of chemical changes that happen in deep-frying, but I don't know the specifics and I'm not sure at what scale they happen. Saponification factor changes of less than 1% probably don't matter in practical terms, and I'm guessing that flavor alterations in fry oil due to oxidation and such probably become apparent at far lower concentrations than that... but maybe there are chemical changes that aren't culinarily important that do matter for soapmaking!

I'm giving it a shot with some fry oil left over from making falafel, an unknown mix of olive, peanut, sunflower, and I think even sesame. (They all have very close factors, but I'm erring on the side of caution.) The soap is still curing and still smells like used fry oil, but I'm hoping it won't leave that scent on hands. : )

Hi, do notice a bit of fry oil "smell" now. But not anything over powering.
recipe I used:
Fry oil 50% (I used canola in calculator)
Coconut Oil 30%
Cocoa Butter 15%
Castor Oil 5%
Added 4 oz.. Almond milk as part of liquid.
Added Cherry Almond FO

Tried to give a chance of being a good bar of soap. Thanks

Here's what I ended up using:

- 75 g used vegetable oil (mix of olive, sesame, sunflower, and peanut)
- 9.65 g NaOH crystals (Rooto drain cleaner "100% lye")
- 21 g water

Making a small test batch actually made it harder, since I had to use the milligram scale and couldn't use the stick blender. : P This is my first foray into soapmaking, so I otherwise tried to keep it very simple.

I finally used my soap, about 8 months later! It has been sitting loosely wrapped on a bathroom shelf to dry and cure, and then I didn't bother trying it out until the current bar of soap finally got used up—which was slow, as I've been preferring our refillable foaming soap dispenser.

Notes from first few days of use:

- Color has dimmed from a very light yellow-white to have slight orangish cast, with a few orange spots. Oxidation?
- Has a mild smell of rancid oils, which is unfortunate but not unexpected. I'd expected it to smell a little fishy or like a deep-fryer or something else mildly off-putting. But since the smell does not cling to my hands after washing, I really don't care. (On the flip side, basically all scented soaps leave a scent on my hand, which I really dislike!)
- Lathers readily, although not profusely.
- Pretty slippery feeling, almost slimy. The wet side (on the soap tray) tends to be a little goopy—I might need to use a different tray so that it doesn't sit wet as much. But the softness makes it easier for the kiddo to wash her hands, which is great.

The goopiness might be something to tone down a little in a future version, although as a novice I really don't know what to change. Maybe tone down the 5% lye discount a little? It stopped being zappy within 2 days, so I think I have some margin for error.

The smell limits how likely other people are to want to make this recipe, but I suspect if it's used relatively fresh (after 2 months, not 8) then it will be much more inoffensive.

So, not bad as a first try, and I may solicit some used fry oil from neighbors to have another go at it!

You have a 100% vegetable oil soap. Similar to a Castile recipe. They can be goopy and slimy. Add some hard oils. Also something for lather. The shelf life, was trashed to start with. So going rancid. Sooner than later. Would not surprise. For these reasons I chose to use it as just another oil. In a kinda normal recipe.
My original batch has lightened and fragrance is all but gone. But still look and perform well. No ill smell or rancidity. I use no chelators.
for a 100% veggy soap. Search for, the world famous, heralded by Kings and Queens around the globe.... Zany's no slime Castile recipe.
It is a good thread to read.

Search for, the world famous, heralded by Kings and Queens around the globe.... Zany's no slime Castile recipe.
Thanks.gif
for the testimonial. You just made my day.
As it happens, I was thinking the same thing!

Zany's No Slime Castile recipe

@gnome I would advise a small 12-16 oz or 500 gram batch for easier production. Also, I would love it if you would start a new thread to post results! "ZNSC with Fry Oil" as the title maybe? What a great way to use up fry oil... if it works, of course. I've not tried to make it with canola. Should be interesting. ;):thumbs:

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back