Used fry oil soap....

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hi. Made a small batch used fry oil soap. From a friends diner. Looks ok. Have not tried it yet. With my original pink mold. Used " canola oil" in the lye calculator. CO and OO and castor. To fill in rest of recipe. 1.7/1 lye concentration. 3% SF. Also added 4ozs. Almond milk. Thanks for looking.
20201204_011016.jpg

Hi, knew it would smell. So I used cherry-almond (it was on sale) fragrance. Also put in ground oatmeal. Trying to give it a chance at being a decent bar of soap. Thanks.

Interesting! Did you filter and clean it in any other ways first?

I'm getting ready to make a batch using used canola frying oil from our restaurant. I'm experimenting as our restaurant provides plenty of the used canola oil. I made a filter by drilling a couple dozen 1/8" holes in the bottom of a bucket that would slip loosely into a tallish six gallon bucket. I removed the cardboard tubes from several rolls of TP and wedged them into the bottom of the upper bucket. It takes a while for the oil to percolate through the TP but it gets it very clean.

Love me some plain soap. Nicely done on recycle and reuse!

Just a thought - while the smell of used oil may not be apparent in the finished soap or when the soap has dried, the smell will usually be apparent when the soap is used, even with a very strong FO. Besides careful filtering, as stated by @Soap Dude, you can lessen and sometimes be rid of that problem by also salting it out (also known as rendering or cleaning). Add some hard oil (I find 1 part hard oil to 3 parts liquid oil (1:3) works pretty good, and 1:4 can work with colder winter temps), so that the oils thicken/harden enough to skim off the top when cooled. Depending on how used the oil is, you can often get some pretty clean smelling oil with just one or two renderings/cleanings.

You could always salt out the soap to get rid of the smell. Of course, you'll have to re-add your fragrance oil and have to start the cure time again, which isn't a happy thing, but it might be better than gifting soap that "stinketh". Or, if you've already gifted the soap, perhaps salting out would be of interest in the future. @DeeAnna has written the best article I've seen on salting out soap, complete with very good videos on the process.
https://classicbells.com/soap/saltOutTut.asp

Hi. Yes. Drained it thru a cheese cloth. Folded a few times. Did pick up a few bits.
Bacon grease was always tossed. In our house growing up. Never learned how to use it. I did learn how to eat it. BACON!!!!!

I always have a small jar of bacon fat in the fridge ... I love the taste it imparts on other foods. But never had enough to make soap with.

hmmmm - I wonder if it's a country thing? I'm in the USA and the site is served from the USA. Just installed a different browser to rule out any type of cache in my main browser, and the site comes up fine.

Back