Used Dairy Butter. Soap Stinks!

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
No, in a perfect world I never would clean myself with vomit soap. The world is not even close to perfect and there's a lot of nuts running around here where I live. Some of them tried to kill the Governor. I just wanted to know if milk fat's worked with lye. Thanks

No worries about 'stink'. Just curious if it cleans the skin?
Some people on the forum are artists, some seem to be 'let's keep clean', some are both.
I'm surely not going to make a butter or gee soap unless absolutely necessary. I truly want to know if (even if it stinks), does it still clean and function as all soaps should?
It is a surfactant, yes. TBH, if I was soaping in an apocalypse, I'd imagine used frying grease would be the last available fat source, not butter. It also doesn't make a pleasant-smelling soap, but for different reasons.🙃

No, in a perfect world I never would clean myself with vomit soap. The world is not even close to perfect and there's a lot of nuts running around here where I live. Some of them tried to kill the Governor. I just wanted to know if milk fat's worked with lye. Thanks
If you're using milk or cream in soap, you'd be fine. Butter unfortunately will stink like feet and it will never go away. One might as well call a butter bar the "Bar of Eternal Stench" and chuck it. There is no saving that soap.

No worries about 'stink'. Just curious if it cleans the skin?
Some people on the forum are artists, some seem to be 'let's keep clean', some are both.
I'm surely not going to make a butter or gee soap unless absolutely necessary. I truly want to know if (even if it stinks), does it still clean and function as all soaps should?
My question is why anyone would want to use butter or ghee to make soap when there are so many other great vegan oils to use. Why use animal products? My soap is the most wonderful soap and I never use animal products. No need to. Also why use FO when you have a bounty of wonderful real healthy EO's that actually help the skin? Just a question, not a slam.

My question is why anyone would want to use butter or ghee to make soap when there are so many other great vegan oils to use. Why use animal products? My soap is the most wonderful soap and I never use animal products. No need to. Also why use FO when you have a bounty of wonderful real healthy EO's that actually help the skin? Just a question, not a slam.
As Arimara posted in the last post, EO in soap may smell nice but it's generally agreed that the lye monster pretty much takes care of any healing properties.

I use animal fats in a lot of my soaps and do so without guilt. Generally speaking, when an animal is butchered, a lot of the fat is considered a waste product. It makes fantastic soap so, by using it, I'm helping to keep it out of the landfill where it does no one any good at all.

The EO vs FO question gets hashed and rehashed a lot and has a number of threads dedicated to it. Here is my take: I like the smell of FOs, there are relatively few EOs I like the smell of, FOs are cheaper than the few EOs I like, and I prefer to save my skin-care EOs for lotion and other leave-on products where they will have more influence. And even when I do use EOs for their skin value, I still usually use a complementary FO because, again, I don't enjoy the smell of most EOs. Others can't use EOs because certain ones trigger migraines, skin sensitivities, or other complications, but they can use FOs instead. For some people, FOs trigger the migraines, skin sensitivities, and so on, but EOs don't for them.
100% agree on the butter, though, and my soap is mostly vegan as well (sometimes I add honey or beeswax).

As Arimara posted in the last post, EO in soap may smell nice but it's generally agreed that the lye monster pretty much takes care of any healing properties.

I use animal fats in a lot of my soaps and do so without guilt. Generally speaking, when an animal is butchered, a lot of the fat is considered a waste product. It makes fantastic soap so, by using it, I'm helping to keep it out of the landfill where it does no one any good at all.
Again, I’m with you Misschief. Lard and tallow make wonderful soaps. I am a vegetarian in my daily life, but if the poor animals are butchered already, why throw away the byproducts?

The smelly culprit in butter is a short chain fatty acid called butyric acid (C4:O). It’s present in butter, milk, cream and yogurt. I used leftover cream for half of the liquid in a soap I made last year and could not detect an off smell. Many use yogurt for HP soap. I think you can get away with a little bit of it in soap, but it may be nose dependent. There’s another SMF thread with good information here, e.g. DeeAnna making the point that the short chain structure will up the cleansing of the soap.
https://www.soapmakingforum.com/threads/using-butter-in-soap.63109/

Back