Used Dairy Butter. Soap Stinks!

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

eelizabeth

Reaction score
Oh my goodness gals and guys:
Yesterday I made just one soap and I used butter. It reeks like feet! And I only used 20% of butter.
Does anyone here know if that smell will go away? I didn’t use fragrance oil.
I appreciate your response!
Thank you,

Liz

Welcome! Every story I've heard about soap made with Dairy butter is that it smells terrible. I've heard the smell may dissipate as it dries, but comes back when the bar is wet, i.e. when it is used. I've never been inclined to personally experience this, so I'm curious about the experiences of others who have.
If you really want to incorporate some element of dairy, a small amount of liquid can be replaced with cream or milk.

Welcome! Every story I've heard about soap made with Dairy butter is that it smells terrible. I've heard the smell may dissipate as it dries, but comes back when the bar is wet, i.e. when it is used. I've never been inclined to personally experience this, so I'm curious about the experiences of others who have. If you really want to incorporate some element of dairy, a small amount of liquid can be replaced with cream or milk.

I'm not sure what you mean. The thread I linked makes it pretty clear that ghee soap stinks.
The type, duration, and extent of stink is also detailed in the link.
Sorry didn't link. Gee is a butter product, I was thinking along the lines of animal fat vs tallow.

Whoa!!! Please remind me not to raise anyone's hackles at this forum! I'm very sorry my post re: her were not posted as timely as they could have been for Gemstoneponey

My understanding is that dairy butter will always stink. Dairy butter isn't pure fat like, say, olive oil - it contains sugars and proteins.

To my nose, most milk soaps have that slightly pukey smell. It's easier to cover up when you are using milk vs butter - especially such a large amount!

It might stick awful bad, but does anyone know if I cleans? I mean if SHTF senecio?
Just trying to be prepared for the worst, hope for the best, and accept what happens in between 😑

No worries about 'stink'. Just curious if it cleans the skin?
Some people on the forum are artists, some seem to be 'let's keep clean', some are both.
I'm surely not going to make a butter or gee soap unless absolutely necessary. I truly want to know if (even if it stinks), does it still clean and function as all soaps should?

No worries about 'stink'. Just curious if it cleans the skin?
Some people on the forum are artists, some seem to be 'let's keep clean', some are both.
I'm surely not going to make a butter or gee soap unless absolutely necessary. I truly want to know if (even if it stinks), does it still clean and function as all soaps should?
It's still soap so, yes, it will clean but do you really want to clean yourself with something that smells like vomit?? I know I don't, no matter how well it might clean.

Latest posts

Back