Useage rates for EOs vs FOs

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SudsyFox

Reaction score
Hi guys, I hope this is in the right place... I'm not a complete newbie but I feel like this is kind of a beginner question (one that I've just avoided figuring out completely perhaps)!

I'm trying to figure out usage rates for a bunch of different essential oils and fragrance oils (all from Voyageur Soap & Candle Co. in Surrey, BC, Canada).

The recipe that I'll be using for all of them is below. The fragrance weight that comes out is about 30g, but... then I was looking at some different charts and there are different usage rates for different essential oils, and I'm just not sure I have it right. According to my calculations, I could use lavender EO at a usage rate of 5% (48g for this recipe, or 5% of 960g total oils), but then aniseed EO only at 1% (~10g)? Is that right? Won't the lavender smell way stronger if that's the case?... I made aniseed soap last year at a much higher percentage and it was suuuper strong, so maybe that's the reason...

And as for the fragrance oils, I have 30ml bottles of each, so I'm thinking that that will be perfect (as this calculator suggests about 30g of fragrance)...

I'm just scratching my head at how this all works...!

For the essential oil scented soaps, I'm planning to make aniseed; lavender; bergamot/lemongrass/ylang ylang; eucalyptus/tea tree/peppermint; and orange 5-fold/pink grapefruit/sage, so far... need some guidance on how to calculate usage rates for those, I guess!

OldFaithfulRecipe.jpg

The composition of an FO or EO determines the safe usage rate. The calculator lets you change the number depending on the particular FO or EO you are using. If you are blending EOs you will need to ensure that you stay within the recommended range for the constituents of the EO (limonene, citral, etc). I mostly use the guidelines and blends given on the EOCalc.com site for EOs and stick with moderate to low usage rates with fragrances so blending is not likely to be an issue.

The composition of an FO or EO determines the safe usage rate. The calculator lets you change the number depending on the particular FO or EO you are using. If you are blending EOs you will need to ensure that you stay within the recommended range for the constituents of the EO (limonene, citral, etc). I mostly use the guidelines and blends given on the EOCalc.com site for EOs and stick with moderate to low usage rates with fragrances so blending is not likely to be an issue.

Thank you, that is very helpful! I didn't know about that site :)

Latest posts

Back