Use doTerra oils in soap?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Karmic

Reaction score
I'm just going to start this off with yes, I used the search function first and most of what I found was the eternal debate about the company and its practices. I understand what a can of worms I could possibly be opening up with this so I just ask people to stay on the topic of my actual question and not drift into ethics and all that other stuff.

A friend of mine (not a seller) that I've been talking about my soap making to found out I can use EOs for fragrance and has a small pile of doTerra EOs that she has never used and at this point just wants to get rid of. She said I am free to have any/all of them if I want since they're doing her nothing. So my question is can I use them in soap? Has anyone here ever actually tried it out and do the fragrances stick or do they need anchored?

Of course, you can use them, they are Essential Oils. The problem is they are such tiny bottles ii will depend on your batch sizes if they will be enough for you to use. Doterra EO's are not going to hold any better than any other EO's and sadly EO's are prone to fading in cp. If you do melt and pour soap they tend to hold better.

Yeah I only make small batches at this point anyway so I probably wouldn't need too much? I have no idea really since I've never used EO's but I thought hey, free oils might be a good place to start! I'll have to ask her what size bottles she does have.

Thank you!

Yes - use them, but as cmzaha has stated they are most likely 10ml bottles and I would normally use three of those in one batch of soap. Some of the MLM EO companies claim that their oils are a greater concentration than the ones we would potentially be using, and that we would therefore need less to achieve the same effect. I'm not sure how true that it, but if it is, you could use less EO per batch.
I'm off to search the ethical arguments about DoTerra - they are available in NZ now too and so I need to be 'up with all the goss'. LOL.

Yeah I only make small batches at this point anyway so I probably wouldn't need too much? I have no idea really since I've never used EO's but I thought hey, free oils might be a good place to start! I'll have to ask her what size bottles she does have.

Thank you!

I use about the same amount of EO as I do FO unless its one that has a low usage amount.

Back