use bar soap in dishwasher

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

alemo

Reaction score
Is it possible to use a little bit of grated bar soap in dish washer?
If anyone tried it what was the results?

The soap scum would probably clog the drain after a while. You would have to definitely use something with no superfat or even a little excess lye. If you have hard water, you'd also probably have to chelate in order to prevent scum from getting all over your dishes. I haven't tried it, and maybe there's a way to make it work, but when I wash my soap dishes in the dishwasher, even after a preliminary hand washing, I tend to get gross dishes unless I throw in a splash of tetrasodium EDTA in the final rinse cycle. Granted, I use a 5% superfat so that could be the main cause.

you also need to be careful of the suds--if there are too many they will come out all over your floor--sorry I don't know how many are too many

Yeah never do this, a friend of mine tried this out and flooded her kitchen with bubbles. Great fun for the kids but a mess to clean up! :lol:

Dish washers and washing machines from what I understand need low foaming/bubbly ingredients becuase of all the surging, swishing and spraying water (perfect for bubble making). Another recipie I have used is this one (which I found online):

2 Cups of Washing soda (sodium carbonate)
1 Cup of Baking soda (sodium bicarbonate)
1 Cup of Citric acid
1/2 Cup of salt
1/2 cup of White vinegar (Add very slowly to minimise fizzing)
15 - 20 Drops of Essential oils (I use Lemon, Peppermint or Lavender)

Mix like you would bath bombs and put into a silicone try mould similar size to normal dish tabs then leave to dry, pop out and use like normal dish tabs.

Sodium carbonate can be made from sodium bicarbonate by heating it up in an oven or pot on the stove till it changes appearance from white clumpy powder to a dull and opaque grainy texutre and seperates really easily.

A dishwasher repair man told me the best dishwasher detergent to use was Cascade Complete. I have stuck with his advice and am pleased with the results.

Latest posts

Back