Usage rates confuse me

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kisha

Reaction score
I was browsing Fragrance Buddy and saw that some of the usage rates are way up there. I saw as much as 48% (category 9, soaps, etc.) and 100% ( category 6, mouthwash), among other wildly confusing percentages. On other sites, usage rates are around 5% or less. Am I looking at the chart wrong?

Hi Kisha,

No, those IFRA rates in MDS sheets (are t hose what you are looking at?) are weird. Most companies recommend the lower of IFRA rates or the manafacturer/their own recommended rates, which are usually way lower, I don't remember seeing any over 1 ppo for FO's. I don't get those super high IFRA rates either but just kind of ignore them unless they are *lower* than the manufacturer's rates, which happens so infrequently that I admit I almost never check IFRA.

I just checked on FB, and couldn't find a usage rate, I hope it is somewhere. I randomly clicked on the Coconut Lime Verbena FO, the Cat. 9 maximum is a whopping 90%. I would hate to have a new soaper read that, conclude they could pour in enormous amounts of FO and burn someone.

I was just going by what I saw on their website. Where do you find the IFRA info?

For FB it's listed right there, ie; the chart they provide *is* the INFRA info. See, eg: http://www.fragrancebuddy.com/coconut_lime_verbena_type_fragrance.aspx

For others it varies a lot. Eg, WSP lists it under the "additional information" tab on their FO descriptions. Some sellers don't list it at all, you have to call and ask them to send it to you. I think that's one of the reasons that most people don't really check on them and generally just go by the seller's recommended rates.

You're welcome, Kisha. I don't like that some sellers don't specify their own usage rates, or that sometimes it is so hard to find them. There can be a good deal of variation. Eg, I like my soaps to be strongly scented, but do worry that I am putting in too much at times if I don't know what the official cut off is.

Latest posts

Back