Usage Rate

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

user 58545

Reaction score
So think I might have made a mistake on my first batch. So I was following a recipe which said use 45g of essential oils, either singly or a blend.

So for my 1.2KG batch of soap I used 25g of May Chang and 20g Lemon.

But after looking at the IFRA guide thing it says May Chang max dosage is 1.73% which means 20.76g of May Chang

As I used 25g does that mean I won't be able to use my soap?

Ok I got my weights wrong so I made 1290g so that would be 22.45g of May Chang max but I used 25g.

I am from the days when we did not have IFRA guidelines and I admit I never changed. I still used 6% of my oil weight with almost all fragrances and EO some even more. The exceptions are spicy eo such as clove, cinnamon etc, or fragrances that include such eo's. I never had any complaints about my soaps. My bad... There were a few fragrances I used as high as 7%.

I made 1290g so that would be 22.45g of May Chang max but I used 25g.
I'm wondering about that blend... Litsea Cubeba aka "May Chang" is a strong scent frequently used to anchor citrus blends. Lemon EO is light by comparison.

Check out the LEMONADE EO blend on EO Calc to get the usage rate in soap for 1290g oils using Litsea Cubeba and Lemon.

You may want to spend some time exploring that site. Although not all EOs are featured, you can learn a lot about individual oils and how to use them in addition to safe usage rates. :thumbs:

I also like Eden Botanicals for good information about essential oils and absolutes.

Latest posts

Back