US FDA regulation questions

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bluelilyboutique

Reaction score
Me and my friend has decided to start a bath business and I'm just down right confused at the regulations. So bath fizzies, bath salts are considered cosmetic? I understand about the sugar & salt scrubs and even lip balm but just trying to decipher what they are meaning. If I'm reading it right soap does not need FDA certified? Can anyone help me clear this up?

The Soap & Cosmetic Labeling book by Marie Gale is a very useful book to acquire. Soap nor cosmetics need certification. Only when you claim it will do something like my "Scrub will stop itching" does it become a drug and needs FDA Drug Certification which is very costly. Cosmetics need full labeling soap does not need labeling, but if you eventually sell many customers will not buy naked soaps. You will need to have a very good understanding of labeling before you start selling. Do not make claims with any product

The Soap & Cosmetic Labeling book by Marie Gale is a very useful book to acquire. Soap nor cosmetics need certification. Only when you claim it will do something like my "Scrub will stop itching" does it become a drug and needs FDA Drug Certification which is very costly. Cosmetics need full labeling soap does not need labeling, but if you eventually sell many customers will not buy naked soaps. You will need to have a very good understanding of labeling before you start selling. Do not make claims with any product

My hubby just bought this book for me for Christmas, i cant wait to get into, im currently reading my other present, how to train a coon hound :)

Yes she even has her own blog. I didn't even know she existed and now I'm all over the site & blog. Such amazing info for a new starter like me.

Back