Up-cycle soap mold

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bubli

Reaction score
I was scouring the web for a good soap mold,and honestly at that time I was counting every penny,so I was looking for CHEAP ideas.Cheese,chalk,crayons,soap and so many other items used(like when my granny was little)to come in wooden box/crate containers with lids.There was no card board.So I did a search on eBay for old"wood boxes with lids"and came up with so many lovely rustic looking options for soap molds.Using the L x W x D x .40,I found a great wood cigar box with a(think it's called finger joint)slide lid for $3.It was perfect for a 32oz oil recipe.Don't know why but I Must have a lid,I mean what's a box if you can't close it?"A bowl!"Right?That was my contribution for "JOKE OF THE DAY."any way,it worked great.And I think the paint job even gave for extra insulation because that soap got way warm,kind of scared the doody out of me,but that was before I realized soap was supposed to do that.Here is a pic of it.You should have a look for things like that.There are so many cool old boxes,and even custom made ones.this is the cigar box right after I poured a 2 lb batch in it.Funny thing is,I quit smoking 2 1/2years ago,and now I'm using something that contained that bad thing(tobacco),to make something good and clean.That did not dawn on me till I actually poured the batch in the picture.If one only knew the struggle and terrible health problems that arose due to smoking,that finally forced me to quit,you'd probably understand my gratification every time I use this box and get an AWSOME loaf of soap :) ImageUploadedBySoap Making1402627293.087382.jpg

send it my way. i love a huge ashtray, esp. one with a lid :D still a smoker here. wanting to quit but dunno how, lol

Seven,"You can do it(Imagine me saying that like that guy on those Adam Sandler Movies ;) )!"Tried for years to quit.Over about a year period I reduced my cigarettes until I was smoking only maybe half pack a day.Was doing good till I got really sick,and couldn't breath.went to ER.And ended up having really bad bronchitis,fluid build up in my lungs,I was drowning.Well,got over that and one month later,it happened again only worse.Had to have some type of shots to open my air way.Ended up I had copd from smoking,and apparently asthma I did not know I even had.Did breathing tests in some crazy compression chamber thing and that determined I was right at the brink of emphysema,and the lady asks me how I manage to not pass out on a regular basis.If you ever want to scare the !!!! Out of yourself,just not be able to breath,and know that the next breath could be your last as you're watching you fingernails turn purple.Before I went to ER that night,I just knew there was no way I was coming home,I was going to suffocate to death at 38 with my 2 teenagers and husband looking right at me.I said,"God,I don't know for sure who or what you really are,or if you even think I deserve to make it,but please help me and I will never touch another cigarette again."I felt do awful to ask for such a favor after I had spent so many years destroying the beautiful work of art I was blessed with.2 1/2 years later,I'm off all breathing treatments and meds and am thankful I was able to recover.I count my blessings every time I see someone on oxygen or smell smoke or see a butt.Addiction is a b!!!!.Makes all sensible reasoning fly right out the window,and you know it,but it make you justify total nonsence.I am ashamed though,because after all that my children saw me go through,my 20 year old son smokes now.And even though people say till they're blue in the face,"he's a grown man and makes his own decisions,its not your fault he smokes."That's crap!It is my fault.A mom is the biggest influence.But at least I can say,"son,it's hard to quit,if I did it you can too!"
I feel great now though,every once in a while my breathing gets a little heavy,but I just relax and I'm good!

When you're ready,I mean really ready....you'll quit.The bad cravings lasted for me for about 2months.I could have hurt someone if they even looked at me the wrong way.I actually started to scare myself.I didn't know I could be that hateful.It was every kind of BAD,I may have even invented some new bad in the process!And before I realized it,I wasn't counting the days,hours and minutes anymore.It's the hardest thins I ever did,but I'm glad it's over!Good luck to any one who tries and I hope for your success."Seven,I'll be pulling for ya buddy! ;) When ever you're ready.

:clap: That was a beautiful testimonial, Bubli. I smoke on and off and usually go long periods without smoking, though this year is a bit different. I haven't smoked in almost 2 months. I'm glad you got better after suffering through breathing problems.

Good for you LunaSky.Maybe this is your time to quit.And thanks :)

Sorry but I didn't know where to put this. Can I use a paper tea box as a CP soap mould?

Sorry but I didn't know where to put this. Can I use a paper tea box as a CP soap mould?

You can actually use a lot of things at home as a mold ! I don't know how strong your paper tea box is, but it might bow at the side with too much soap poured in.

But if it's pretty strong, then you shouldn't have an issue. Important thing: make sure it's flat on the bottom. My first batch was poured into a milk carton and the bottom wasn't level so I had soap with a wonky bottom. Trimmed it all off and ended up with lots of scraps.

Bubli, you're truly an inspiration. Thank you for telling such a personal but triumphant story. I'm an ex-smoker too so as I read, I felt each word. I was sitting at my computer, nodding my head, grimacing and smiling. Your success story applies to all addictive situations so hopefully someone will read your posts and decide it's time to make a change. It was courageous of you to tell your story so thank you. :clap:

On a lighter note, your soap mold is awesome! What a great idea and a great up-cycle for the box. Every time you make soap in it, you'll have such a feeling of accomplishment in more ways than one!

Thank you so much. Sorry it took a bit to reply...Started a new job and my youngest is just starting trade school. Busy, busy. Thank you again. :)

Back