unusual molds

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CritterPoor

Reaction score
How many of you see a random object at a thrift store, or flea market, maybe by your trash can and think "soap mold!" So far all of my molds have been actual molds, but this weekend is a big flea market and I'm excited to see what I can find there to soap with.

Every, and I mean EVERY time I go into my local goodwill store thats all I think of. I got two "slab" mold from there (silicone baking pans), 1 small cube mold (some kind of silicone ice cube tray but for mason jars), a mini bunt cake silicone mold, and mini hearts silicone mold. I pretty much dont buy stange molds any more because every time I go to goodwill, I find something I can make use of. No loaf molds yet though...

Everything, everywhere is a potential mold/tool/curing rack. I saw some nasty, dirty, probably toxic but potentially stackable trays in someone's garbage when I was walking the dogs and had a moment of madness, thinking I could wash them in the bath, then soak them in bleach and spray them with alcohol and see how they came out,before I came to my senses. This soaping thing really does get kind of obsessive.

And that doesn't count all the additives that seem to be soapable, or the ones that people suggest. Thanks to you guys I now have 5 kinds of oatmeal. Which is a lot for someone who doesn't like to actually *eat* oatmeal.

Last edited:
Oh, I know how that is NA. I found a little mini crock pot and 2 pyrex bowls in a box by the dumpster in my neighborhood (mind you, they were clean) and I took them home because I was like "SOAAAP". Every time someone dumps something by the dumpster I take a look. Living in a college town means in the last 2 weeks I've seen 2 couches, 1 dining room table, 3 dressers, 4 mattresses and 1 TV along with a myriad of other usable things sitting OUTSIDE the dumpster! Nevermind whats actually in the dumpster. God only knows!

BTW, cleaned that CP and used it for a re-batch. It works perfect! Who throws something like that away?!

I too love goodwill for molds. I've found some good silicone food ones like the mini bunt cakes and the Easter eggs but I also find more unusual things. A plastic draw organizer works for a log mold while a flatter plastic tray worked for a slab mold. I found a adorable lady bug and bee silicone mold today.-

I've used pringle cans for round soaps and the little single serving size plastic pringle containers for individual soap molds but they have a weird shape. You can use a pizza box for a slab mold and a crystal light multi pack container for small oval sample sized soaps.

One of my favorite molds is the old Crystal Lite containers that were round. I like the smaller size better than the larger PVC rounds, they fit my hands better. Sadly, they stopped making them in that shape. As Obsidian mentioned, they're oval now, which is good too, but I miss the round ones. The great thing is, they're reusable, you don't have to line them, and the soaps slide out like buttah!

I love those crystal sugar bowls with a pattern in the bottom! They make a nice round soap! I usually pour excess soap in them.

Latest posts

Back