Unusual fragrances

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Carly B

Reaction score
I love to read all the vendors' descriptions of their fragrances, but after a while they all sound pretty much the same, and quite honestly, my nose doesn't often pick up the fragrance notes they call out,. Many of the fragrances variables are so slight that often several fragrances smell the same (I don't mean OMH smells like another OMH, I mean different genres, like to me, a lot of the "autumn outdoors" type fragrances smell alike).

So for all the fragrance junkies out there, do you have a fragrance that smells like no other? Or one that really surprised you--i.e., it's nothing like the description?

One of my favourites is Red Ginger Saffron from Candle Science. It seizes up something terrible but i persevere because i love it so much. It's significantly different to anything I've used before. Warm, gingery, saffrony, and earthy.
Cannot detect any lemon top notes as described:
Red Ginger Saffron is a fresh, true-to-life fragrance oil with modern sensibilities. A zesty top note of lemon enhances the peppery ginger core. Saffron and amber base notes add warmth to this intriguing earthy scent. Ginger, patchouli, and cedarwood essential oils reinforce the natural ginger aromas. Use this fragrance on its own for trendy candles, wax melts, and tarts, or get creative with mixing Red Ginger Saffron with other scents for alluring custom blends.

I love to read all the vendors' descriptions of their fragrances, but after a while they all sound pretty much the same, and quite honestly, my nose doesn't often pick up the fragrance notes they call out,. Many of the fragrances variables are so slight that often several fragrances smell the same (I don't mean OMH smells like another OMH, I mean different genres, like to me, a lot of the "autumn outdoors" type fragrances smell alike).

So for all the fragrance junkies out there, do you have a fragrance that smells like no other? Or one that really surprised you--i.e., it's nothing like the description?
I don't do 'notes' either. I can't open a bottle, take a whiff and go "Oh, I can smell notes whiskey barrel, cinnamon, cedarwood, sandalwood and amber". What happens is I open the bottle, take a whiff and go "Well that doesn't smell like a bonfire". Of course, I'm the same way wine. LOL

@KiwiMoose, do you deal with Candlescience in the US or get it from someone in NZ ? just thinking by the time you add in the difference of the dollar and postage that it would be too expensive, that's what has turned me off from getting anything O/S.

@KiwiMoose, do you deal with Candlescience in the US or get it from someone in NZ ? just thinking by the time you add in the difference of the dollar and postage that it would be too expensive, that's what has turned me off from getting anything O/S.
No - my supplier here imports it.
I recently bought a bunch of stuff from Aussie soap supplies that, even with the cost of shipping and exchange rate factored in, were cheaper to buy from there rather than here.

I don't do 'notes' either. I can't open a bottle, take a whiff and go "Oh, I can smell notes whiskey barrel, cinnamon, cedarwood, sandalwood and amber". What happens is I open the bottle, take a whiff and go "Well that doesn't smell like a bonfire". Of course, I'm the same way wine. LOL
I was actually going to add that I'm like that with wine too......

ETA: You should be glad your wine doesn't smell like a bonfire. I had a single malt scotch
that smelled like a bonfire once. Tasted like it too...🍷

I remember that Nature’s Garden Eucalyptus Spearmint smelled nothing like that, I couldn’t even bring my self to use it so I sold it.

Empress from Nurture soap comes to mind, the description said it smelled the way soap is supposed to smell. I liked it a lot but did not agree with the description. It smells almost like baby powder to me but not quite that.

I buy from scent memory or Midwest fragrance exclusively. SM fragrances are great alone or great mixers. Many are niche and unique.
I personally love Winter solstice which is clean and smells like a cool winter day in a forest in Buffalo where I love. Also seven veils which is sandalwood and vanilla. I have a geranium scent which is smack down geranium. In soap it’s very green and fresh.
When I was experimenting with candles and when I would make incense I found the same issue but now i don’t have that

I use Oregon Trails and she has a Egyptian Dragon. I love this scent because it’s earthy and sweet but I’m surprised how much it sells. I thought it was like a novelty but everyone loves it. Here’s the website description:

Attachments

• E43F2E24-03C0-4CAB-B342-7857D5708629.jpeg
    E43F2E24-03C0-4CAB-B342-7857D5708629.jpeg
    389.3 KB · Views: 0
I use Oregon Trails and she has a Egyptian Dragon. I love this scent because it’s earthy and sweet but I’m surprised how much it sells. I thought it was like a novelty but everyone loves it. Here’s the website description:
Egyptian Dragon was a very good seller for me for years, but I purchased mine from Natures Garden which was considerably less in cost than OT, but I am sure it varies a tad in scent. I tried other Egyptian D's but Natures Garden's sold the best for me, being a good unisex fragrance. It sold to folks that did not quite like the strong scent of my Dragon's Blood.

I buy from scent memory or Midwest fragrance exclusively. SM fragrances are great alone or great mixers. Many are niche and unique.
I personally love Winter solstice which is clean and smells like a cool winter day in a forest in Buffalo where I love. Also seven veils which is sandalwood and vanilla. I have a geranium scent which is smack down geranium. In soap it’s very green and fresh.
When I was experimenting with candles and when I would make incense I found the same issue but now i don’t have that
I'm curious how SM fragrances are niche and unique. Every one of them says to compare them to other fragrances from other companies. Alot of MWF do too but they have enough that are unique that I use them too.

I'm curious how SM fragrances are niche and unique. Every one of them says to compare them to other fragrances from other companies. Alot of MWF do too but they have enough that are unique that I use them too.
There are quite a few that are unique, more so than Midwest, but there is not a separate category for them so may be harder to find.

There are quite a few that are unique, more so than Midwest, but there is not a separate category for them so may be harder to find.
I was going to say the same as @MelissaG - even the company name “Scent Memory” leads one to believe these are dupes of scents we would remember from the past. Not that there’s anything wrong with that, but I just don’t see their offerings as unique as far as scent types go.

Perhaps you meant they are unique in qualities such as behavior while soaping, or longevity?

Also, I was wondering if you are affiliated with them in any way? I can be passionate myself about recommending a company that I like, and have also been asked that same question for that reason, so please don’t take offense to it. 🙏🏼😊

I was going to say the same as @MelissaG - even the company name “Scent Memory” leads one to believe these are dupes of scents we would remember from the past. Not that there’s anything wrong with that, but I just don’t see their offerings as unique as far as scent types go.

Perhaps you meant they are unique in qualities such as behavior while soaping, or longevity?

Also, I was wondering if you are affiliated with them in any way? I can be passionate myself about recommending a company that I like, and have also been asked that same question for that reason, so please don’t take offense to it. 🙏🏼😊
I am not affiliated in any way but I have been to scent memory hq and do know the owner.
I am someone who struggled to find scents that didn’t give me a headache and would work in candles.
This is a company that has both and I don’t mind telling people that. I know which ones are dupes and which are not. I also know the Midwest catalog and they most recently start blending their own. Having said that I think their fragrances are good quality.
I love the niche fragrances and love the scent memory fragrances. I have nearly everyone one and smelled all of them (but a few).
It’s not for everyone but I have struggled to find something I love. I am sure I am not alone

@contrinokathy thank you, I appreciate the transparency and clarity. Although I don't make candles, I also struggle to find scents that don't give me a headache. I'm going to check them out now - much appreciated!

I am not affiliated in any way but I have been to scent memory hq and do know the owner.
I am someone who struggled to find scents that didn’t give me a headache and would work in candles.
This is a company that has both and I don’t mind telling people that. I know which ones are dupes and which are not. I also know the Midwest catalog and they most recently start blending their own. Having said that I think their fragrances are good quality.
I love the niche fragrances and love the scent memory fragrances. I have nearly everyone one and smelled all of them (but a few).
It’s not for everyone but I have struggled to find something I love. I am sure I am not alone
So for a first order, what scents are “must-haves?”

I have had about 15 sitting in my cart for several days. It's actually what prompted me to start this thread. They sound intriguing, but I'm looking for fragrances that aren't the same as everyone else's. Also, I wish there were soaping notes regarding acceleration and discoloration.

I have had about 15 sitting in my cart for several days. It's actually what prompted me to start this thread. They sound intriguing, but I'm looking for fragrances that aren't the same as everyone else's. Also, I wish there were soaping notes regarding acceleration and discoloration.
Yep - I tend not to buy if I don't see any reviews. Don't like taking the risk.

I think they are niche/unique because they are not the usual duplicates of other companies' fragrances. A lot of them are high end perfumes, which I haven't seen many FO suppliers offer, let alone do well.

How are their 'compare to' fragrances less unique than Black Raspberry Vanilla (BBW dupe by the way), Oatmeal, Milk and Honey, Lavender Chamomile, Cherry Almond, etc that are offered by most FO suppliers and sold by a majority of soap makers. I understand why, they are popular and they sell. Partly because people are familiar with and like them.

I'm not trying to argue with or insult you. I've just seen you twice make this critical statement about a small business selling fragrance oils without having any experience with them.

Back