Unsure why Linoleic and Linolenic numbers are so high?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tracy von Elling

Reaction score
I am trying to post my recipe here. I'd love a bubbly bar that isn't too soft either. I'm new to soap making and the recipe I last used was with Lard. Now I'm wanting to use Crisco because I have that at home and am wondering why the L and L numbers have jumped. I have searched on here and been reading but am still struggling to understand all the numbers. Here is my recipe:
Olive: 30%
Coconut oil: 30%
Crisco with palm: 30%
Castor oil: 10%

Also wondering if 21 grams as soap calc is saying of fragrance oil is too much?

I appreciate any help and thank you so much!

Crisco is high in lins. If u reduce the crisco to reduce the lins, ur bar won’t be very hard. I recommend that u decide what qualities that u want in soap and then purchase the oils. Its not like cooking where u open the pantry and use what’s there. U can, but it won’t make great soap.

How much total oil is in your recipe? 21 grams of fragrance isn't that much unless you are making a tiny, tiny batch.

Crisco is high in lins. If u reduce the crisco to reduce the lins, ur bar won’t be very hard. I recommend that u decide what qualities that u want in soap and then purchase the oils. Its not like cooking where u open the pantry and use what’s there. U can, but it won’t make great soap.

Okay thank you. So if I wanted to make a vegan one with the crisco, do you have any suggestions of which oils go well with that and maybe the percentages for a harder bar but also a bubbly one too? I will keep using Lard but also need a vegan option. I appreciate your help! I am reading and watching videos and have some books too as I know there is a lot to learn :)

How much total oil is in your recipe? 21 grams of fragrance isn't that much unless you are making a tiny, tiny batch.

There are 700 grams of oil in the recipe. I wanted to make another small batch until I get the recipe right. Thanks :)

Okay thank you. So if I wanted to make a vegan one with the crisco, do you have any suggestions of which oils go well with that and maybe the percentages for a harder bar but also a bubbly one too? I will keep using Lard but also need a vegan option. I appreciate your help! I am reading and watching videos and have some books too as I know there is a lot to learn :)

Deep breath...

To form a vegan bar u need...
A latherer...CO 15-20% or it will be too drying
A lather stabilizer...castor at about 5%
A hardener...i prefer soy wax/100% hydrogenated soy bean oil at 40%
A high oleic filler. I prefer almond oil but u can use OO or safflower oil

Last edited:
Deep breath...

To form a vegan bar u need...
A latherer...CO 15-20% or it will be too drying
A lather stabilizer...castor at about 5%
A hardener...i prefer soy wax/100% hydrogenated soy bean oil at 40%
A high oleic filler. I prefer almond oil but u can use OO or safflower oil

Thank you for the suggestions of this recipe. I have soybean oil and all the others so great. I didn't know I could do soybean at 40%. I'm learning and thanks for the help!

Thank you for the suggestions of this recipe. I have soybean oil and all the others so great. I didn't know I could do soybean at 40%. I'm learning and thanks for the help!
Hi Tracy - make sure it is soy wax you are using at 40%. The oil will not have the same properties. I use soy wax at 20% and add other oils to it ( coconut, olive, castor, rice bran, shea butter) and it makes a nice soap.

Hi Tracy - make sure it is soy wax you are using at 40%. The oil will not have the same properties. I use soy wax at 20% and add other oils to it ( coconut, olive, castor, rice bran, shea butter) and it makes a nice soap.

Other than being a princess poly-oil. Y do use both OO and RB?

Other than being a princess poly-oil. Y do use both OO and RB?
I reckon the rice-bran lathers up a bit better. And also - it's a fraction of the price of the OO so it brings the cost down. I wouldn't use all rice bran because of the high lins. I'd better not tell you I also use apricot kernel oil then huh? And sometimes avocado?

I reckon the rice-bran lathers up a bit better. And also - it's a fraction of the price of the OO so it brings the cost down. I wouldn't use all rice bran because of the high lins. I'd better not tell you I also use apricot kernel oil then huh? And sometimes avocado?
I have exactly the same reasons for using RBO and OO together in my soaps.. Some of my recipes also have avocado, but not all, coz it costs quite a bit more than the other two..

Latest posts

Back