unmolding advice tonight please?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Soap peeps,
After several years of soaping, I have an unexpected situation and could use your advice. I normally soap late afternoon/evening. I'm a geller so bury my loaf under towels. Normally the next morning, I reach under the pile and it's slightly warm. After 24 hours, the molds are cool and I unmold.

I soaped last night with my 3-year-old recipe. I don't masterbatch a lot but this time I used masterbatched oils and lye solution. It's been 24 hours and the molds are still slightly warm to the touch. The silicone sides pull away easily and it feels like cheddar cheese to the touch. Because it's still slightly warm, I put it back under the towel pile.

I'm impatient!! Do I wait until it's room temperature or can I unmold and cut it now? The only thing I did differently was to use masterbatched ingredients. Thank you!

Your soap might hav taken longer to start gel phase, or stayed there longer for some reason. If it pulls away from the silicone cleanly, it should be fine to unmold. Or leave it in the mold until it cools. If you have a wood mold with silicone liner, you can take it out of the wood. Either way, I would uncover it and let it cool before cutting if you can wait. Although, I have been known to cut when when the soap is a little warm. You know, just to see 🙄

Latest posts

Back