Unknown issue with wicks or wax

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hi,

I'm not new to candles but I'm having a problem I can't seem to resolve. I have been making candles for 7 years. The jars I use, I have been using for about 3.5 years without any issues, same wax and same wick size, same fragrances everything from the same supplier.
For the last month or so these candles do not burn right anymore.Customers starting returning their candles because the flames were going out, albeit, the wicks suddenly looked too small, curling over at the ends very quickly and the candles wouldn't burn unless you poured off wax. All candles were great when initially burning but the lower the candle burns the smaller the flame gets. I had a similar issues once before, it turned out to be a faulty wick issue so it was easily resolved.
Anyway, I used a new batch of wicks ( same size) and still the same issues, candles will not stay lit past a certain point and flames become small after the first burn or so, the initial burn looks good. So, went up a wick size and it burned fine ( initial flame larger of course but acceptable).....again, the burn is better once some wax is poured off. I am trying one more size up today plus a size down from the original size, but what on earth is going on? nothing has changed on my end, same routine over and over and the supplier of course doesn't know.Is this wick, wax? fragrance issues? I can't imagine it being weather change,in 7 years that has never been a problem. I am using GW464 and have found it to be very stable throughout the year.

Soy wax is very inconsistent, due to changing crops from year to year. Every new case you get if from a different lot # you should do a test burn. If it burns inconsistent with your test results you will have to start all of your testing over with new wicks.

Sorry, just the nature of soy wax and one of the main reasons I refuse to use it. That and it's too picky with which scents will actually throw.

I can reiterate that - soy is very unpredictable and each batch can vary hugely. I have had the same problem of sudden burn changes and unfortunately there's no short cut but to test burn each new batch of wax.

Latest posts

Back