Unhappy Watermelon Lemonade // Tilted Diagonal Mould

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SpaceCorgi94

Reaction score
So I decided to try making a diagonal mould soap. Same mould as ever, just tilted 45 degrees, pouring in the first colour, then periodically tilting it upright as the 2nd colour is poured in.

I'd like to say I'm happy with the results, but I'm not :\

The fragrance oil I got from Luxaroma said it contained no Vanillin, however, the writing was on the wall, it clearly did and does. It's just so frustrating, I had such a beautiful red and now I've got this weird earthy orange. It was also made for a friend too so basically the entire thing's a waste of time, money, and resources. It's also not a huge deal now that it's a waste, but I really should've swirled the glitter on top too instead of leaving it as-is after dusting it on, I think it's just a far more attractive pattern.

243968677_585202542630779_6574442617262998583_n.jpg
242806727_429197511925190_5012356716303500196_n.jpg

Pics Above: My beautiful red ruined.

Here's the soaps cut today. Tbh I could've left it another day but considering how I knew where it was gonna go I couldn't be bothered waiting.

WhatsApp Image 2021-10-04 at 9.30.18 AM.jpeg

Wow…what a big disappointment. But I suspect its the mica that failed, not the fo. What did the supplier say about the mica,,,,was it suitable for high pH? Also, I don’t know what the ingredients are, but there’s more than vanillin that discolors brown. Far more rare an issue however.

The Mica, my recipe, equipment, and methods (sans tilting the mould) have all been successful in the past and met my expectations. I'll be contacting the company I bought the FO off for sure, as they may have additional information or realise they may need to change what information they have on the product listing (I imagine there's a lot of copy/paste when it comes to many of these FO listings).

In the past I've just settled for FOs that're vanillin free, which is why I was so keen to try this one, but, clearly this isn't suitable. This was from a website I don't usually order from so I'll need to just stick to more my reputable ones I guess.

Fabulous tilt, @SpaceCorgi94 ! What a shame your FO discolored your red so!

I am not at all familiar with that FO supplier, but so they have reviews on the site & did any of them mention discoloration? Unfortunately, vanillin is not the only FO ingredient to discolor. Can you leave a review? What was the name of the FO, in case another SMF member ever reads here and thinks of purchasing same?

I also wondered about the mica. But as you say it was reliable in other soaps.

Fabulous tilt, @SpaceCorgi94 ! What a shame your FO discolored your red so!

I am not at all familiar with that FO supplier, but so they have reviews on the site & did any of them mention discoloration? Unfortunately, vanillin is not the only FO ingredient to discolor. Can you leave a review? What was the name of the FO, in case another SMF member ever reads here and thinks of purchasing same?

I also wondered about the mica. But as you say it was reliable in other soaps.

Thank you so much for your kind words, I am pretty happy with the tilt, even if it's not perfectly met in the corners I think it adds a bit of style. I'm looking forward to doing this again with my more reliable FOs!

I know it might be a bit much to ask, but could you tell me how best to do this? I've had posts removed in the past for linking to product listings and I'd like to avoid this if possible ><

Thank you so much for your kind words, I am pretty happy with the tilt, even if it's not perfectly met in the corners I think it adds a bit of style. I'm looking forward to doing this again with my more reliable FOs!

I know it might be a bit much to ask, but could you tell me how best to do this? I've had posts removed in the past for linking to product listings and I'd like to avoid this if possible ><
If your not happy with eroma, it's best to put up the review on their site under the FO not here. When buying their FO's I look at the reviews under the FO I want to buy on their site. Their reviews from buyers for this one seem to be happy. There is one that says great in CP soap. I have been buying from there for a long time.

Here's the description of the FO from their site. -
A little reminder of long hot summer days with this refreshing blend of watermelon, lemon and casaba melon top notes, a heart of marine accords all on a sweet base of blackberry and vanilla bean.
Top Notes: Lemon, Casaba Melon
Middle Notes: Watermelon, Blackberry
Base Notes: Vanilla Bean, Sea Breeze

If your not happy with eroma, it's best to put up the review on their site under the FO not here. When buying their FO's I look at the reviews under the FO I want to buy on their site. Their reviews from buyers for this one seem to be happy. There is one that says great in CP soap. I have been buying from there for a long time.

Here's the description of the FO from their site. -
A little reminder of long hot summer days with this refreshing blend of watermelon, lemon and casaba melon top notes, a heart of marine accords all on a sweet base of blackberry and vanilla bean.
Top Notes: Lemon, Casaba Melon
Middle Notes: Watermelon, Blackberry
Base Notes: Vanilla Bean, Sea Breeze

I think I was just searching by the "No Vanillin" category, and it even says "Vanillin: No" on the webpage. I just assumed it was using a 0% Vanilla fragrance compound, however I guess I was just too hopeful. Benefit of hindsight, etc.

That being said, I'm not sure I even got it off Eroma specifically, as I've bought from a few different sites in the past, but I'll probably leave a review once I get a chance to use the soap so my review of the fragrance oil is as encompassing as possible. I only really mentioned it here as a way to explain how the soap discoloured, this is a photo gallery forum after all.

When I do a tilted or diagonal soap, I use whatever happens to be handy that will give me the tilt I want, such as books or pencils or towels or another mold. If you have another mold of a slightly larger size that the mold you are pouring into will fit securely, that's ideal.

For the bottom slanted layer, the mold doesn't have to be moved at all while pouring, or if you got the tilt a bit wrong, you can move it a bit during the end of the pour. Cover it and let it sit for a few hours or overnight. After it sets up sufficiently, your can either just put the mold flat on the work surface and finish the pour. Or if it is still not set up enough, you can gradually un-tilt the mold as you pour in the second layer.

Here is a video on doing a diagonal pour using a device that seems a little costly (there is a link to it in the video description area), but the concept is the same whether you use an expensive device or another mold or towels.

Here is a video for a diagonal layer soap using other molds to prop the mold into which the soaper pours her soap:

Here is a video with another method (a loaf of soap was made ahead of time, cut diagonally, then new soap poured with the mold sitting flat on the surface).

Oh, the lines were perfect!! I am sorry this happened to you:(

If you don`t like the glitter because of this altered state, can you bevel the top? Without the glitter it will look more earthy and natural if that is something that is bothering you. No one would ever know if you don`t tell them!

I have a sneaky suspicion (like @lenarenee ) the red may not be PH stable enough for CP soap. When you ordered the red, are you sure they didn`t send you the wrong item, and instead sent you color aimed at M&P soaps?

I have a discoloring fragrance (cherry almond) I know 100% will discolor the batter like yours, maybe mine will be a hair darker, and I choose to use red in that soap so I get a red undertone that fit my soap theme better. The red comes through with no issues even though I only use 1 teaspoon. That is why I am thinking the red you got wasn`t suitable for CP, when there is no red tinge to your soap layer at all.

I am just thinking that the fragrance may not be the main culprite , since the white isn`t affected.

Listen - the soap is still absolutely lovely! I know you don`t feel like it now, so put it aside, forget about it a while and circle back to it when time has passed.

PS!
To test and make sure it wasn`t the mica, next time you make soap, sacrifice a small ammount of unfragranced and uncolored batter, add the red mica, and let it set up a day ot two in a small mold. (no need to do it again with red + fragrance as you already done that in your initial batch)

When you unmold it you will see one of two things: Red soap. Or tan/orange soap because the red has faded. If your red comes out as it should you know it is indeed a CP soap stable mica AND you will know it was the fragrance that altered the red.

If the color faded without the fragrance I would either get my red from somewhere else, or complain to the company if they sent you the wrong thing, or if their mica is not stable for CP even though they claim so.

Either way - your will find out what is the problem if you do it this way.:)

It is still a pretty soap and if the fragrance is still nice I would give it to my friend. Unfortunately when soaping things do not always go as we want them to, it just happens. Also, it could still be your mica even though it has acted fine in the past there may be a constituent in this particular fragrance that causes this particular mica to discolor. As dibbles asked, "did you use it in the entire batch?" If you did it would tell you it is the mica causing the problem, not the fragrance and if that is the case when and if you write a review you would want to mention the fact that you used x mica with this fo and it discolored to x color. Reviews are useless without all information.

So I decided to try making a diagonal mould soap. Same mould as ever, just tilted 45 degrees, pouring in the first colour, then periodically tilting it upright as the 2nd colour is poured in.

I'd like to say I'm happy with the results, but I'm not :\

The fragrance oil I got from Luxaroma said it contained no Vanillin, however, the writing was on the wall, it clearly did and does. It's just so frustrating, I had such a beautiful red and now I've got this weird earthy orange. It was also made for a friend too so basically the entire thing's a waste of time, money, and resources. It's also not a huge deal now that it's a waste, but I really should've swirled the glitter on top too instead of leaving it as-is after dusting it on, I think it's just a far more attractive pattern.

View attachment 61424View attachment 61425
Pics Above: My beautiful red ruined.

Here's the soaps cut today. Tbh I could've left it another day but considering how I knew where it was gonna go I couldn't be bothered waiting.

View attachment 61426
I've had the exact same thing happen. Last night I tried making red trains for kids, and they poured red. This morning they look like a clay colour. I'm so disappointed. I tried a new colour called fire engine red, from a new supplier. I know that reds are notoriously difficult to get right. PXL_20211009_023050733.jpg

Oh, the lines were perfect!! I am sorry this happened to you:(

If you don`t like the glitter because of this altered state, can you bevel the top? Without the glitter it will look more earthy and natural if that is something that is bothering you. No one would ever know if you don`t tell them!

I have a sneaky suspicion (like @lenarenee ) the red may not be PH stable enough for CP soap. When you ordered the red, are you sure they didn`t send you the wrong item, and instead sent you color aimed at M&P soaps?

I have a discoloring fragrance (cherry almond) I know 100% will discolor the batter like yours, maybe mine will be a hair darker, and I choose to use red in that soap so I get a red undertone that fit my soap theme better. The red comes through with no issues even though I only use 1 teaspoon. That is why I am thinking the red you got wasn`t suitable for CP, when there is no red tinge to your soap layer at all.

I am just thinking that the fragrance may not be the main culprite , since the white isn`t affected.

Listen - the soap is still absolutely lovely! I know you don`t feel like it now, so put it aside, forget about it a while and circle back to it when time has passed.

PS!
To test and make sure it wasn`t the mica, next time you make soap, sacrifice a small ammount of unfragranced and uncolored batter, add the red mica, and let it set up a day ot two in a small mold. (no need to do it again with red + fragrance as you already done that in your initial batch)

When you unmold it you will see one of two things: Red soap. Or tan/orange soap because the red has faded. If your red comes out as it should you know it is indeed a CP soap stable mica AND you will know it was the fragrance that altered the red.

If the color faded without the fragrance I would either get my red from somewhere else, or complain to the company if they sent you the wrong thing, or if their mica is not stable for CP even though they claim so.

Either way - your will find out what is the problem if you do it this way.:)
@Bubble Agent,

Thank you for your advice about the colour not being optimal for cp. I read the package and it said best for melts.Am irritated as website had stated suitable for cp.

@Bubble Agent,

Thank you for your advice about the colour not being optimal for cp. I read the package and it said best for melts.Am irritated as website had stated suitable for cp.

Sorry to hear that! Is it a reputable supplier? Did you buy a lot, or was it a sample? I would absolutely contact them directly and let them know about this issue.
At least they would get a chance to go through some steps to make sure they don`t spread incorrect information about their products. I would send them this picture too, and let them know you are a soapmaker of CP soaps, and have to rely on correct information.

If they brush you off then you know they are not serious business owners.

If it was more than a sample I would ask for my money back. If it was an inexpensive sample they should give you store credit (if you even wish to shop with them for other things after they show how they respond to you).
But I would not let this slide.

We all know reds can be a bit difficult to get right, depending on after the hue you are after. But as long as they are PH suitable for CP soaps they will usually not turn this type brown, but at least make soap that has some red to it, be it cool red, rusty red, tomato type reds, pink hued red. But not this strange color, even if you should use too little to get a true, deep red.

Just noticed both soaps have been poured into coloured silicon moulds, maybe a reaction to that. I use wooden moulds that are lined and haven't had trouble with reds being red, I don't use mica.

Sorry to hear that! Is it a reputable supplier? Did you buy a lot, or was it a sample? I would absolutely contact them directly and let them know about this issue.
At least they would get a chance to go through some steps to make sure they don`t spread incorrect information about their products. I would send them this picture too, and let them know you are a soapmaker of CP soaps, and have to rely on correct information.

If they brush you off then you know they are not serious business owners.

If it was more than a sample I would ask for my money back. If it was an inexpensive sample they should give you store credit (if you even wish to shop with them for other things after they show how they respond to you).
But I would not let this slide.

We all know reds can be a bit difficult to get right, depending on after the hue you are after. But as long as they are PH suitable for CP soaps they will usually not turn this type brown, but at least make soap that has some red to it, be it cool red, rusty red, tomato type reds, pink hued red. But not this strange color, even if you should use too little to get a true, deep red.
It’s a fairly new supplier , though I have heard of some YouTube soap makers who have used their fragrances.
I’ll be sure to act upon your advice and contact them to let them know of my experience.
Thank you so much for taking the time and effort to assist me.

Back