Unfilitered Beeswax for Candle Making

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

meganlanephotos

Reaction score
Hello,

I've been making beeswax candles for a while, but I have always bought filtered beeswax from one specific seller on Etsy. I have gotten very used to the process and for the most part, it goes smoothly every time. I usually only make 5 or 6 candles a week and sell them to locals in my area.. but now I need to start making triple that for a local organic health food store who wants to carry my candles on their shelves. I'm in a bit of a bind, as I need to get 3 dozen candles finished in the next two days and I only have about 2lbs of beeswax left! I will never get my order in time if I buy off of Etsy, as I usually do. Anyway, I found a local beekeeper who sells his wax at $10/lb. I was all set to go buy 8lbs from him today but he just emailed me to let me know it is unfiltered beeswax, he must've forgot to tell me that during our intitial phone conversation. I have never worked with unfiltered beeswax. I've read plenty of articles on it, and it seems that I would need to filter it myself. However, the beekeeper says that I can use the beeswax as is for candle making with no problem.. he said I'd only need to filter it if I was using it for creams, soaps or skin products. Is this correct? Can I use the unfiltered beeswax as is in my candles? I am nervous doing this since they are going into a health food store. I don't want them to tunnel or burn incorrectly. I suppose I could test one at home just to be sure.. Please let me know if you guys have made candles w/ unfiltered beeswax and if it was successful. Thank you so much!!

I make soap and get unfiltered beeswax from a friend. Unfiltered beeswax looks nasty to me. There's bee parts and poop in it. If I were you, id probably filter it first. All you need to do is melt it down and pour it through an old t shirt into another container.

Thank you for your response. I ended up not buying it. It was going to be 10 a pound for the unfiltered stuff. The beekeeper wouldn't even lower the price if I bought in bulk. I ended up finding a local beekeeper who sells filtered beeswax for only $6 a pound! He sells it at that price if you're buying one pound or in bulk. I bought 10lbs for $60 and it's really great quality. Smells amazing, too! I will be buying from in from now on :)

Latest posts

Back