Quantcast

Unexpected glycerine (?) rivers

SoapMakingForum

Help Support SoapMakingForum:

AndyRoo

Reaction score
Hello all,

I made some soap the other night which I have just cut, only to discover what I think are glycerine rivers (pic below). I know this can happen if too much water is added to the soap, but I used the normal amount I do for all my soaps and I've never had this problem before, so I was wondering what else might have affected it?

Could this be down to the fragrance oil? The heat? Usually I would make soap at around 22-24 degrees, but the other day it was probably about 30 - could that be the culprit? It's a shame because other than the ugly rivers, the soap looks pretty good IMHO! :/

Any advice is welcome.

Cheers,
Andy

IMG_0095.JPG

DeeAnna

Reaction score
"...Usually I would make soap at around 22-24 degrees, but the other day it was probably about 30 - could that be the culprit? ..."

You've answered your own question. ;)

Jersey Girl

Supporting Member
Reaction score
There are Soapers who love the look of glycerin rivers and actually try to achieve them. I have come to embrace them when they happen however I have been able to avoid them pretty much as I’ve gotten more experienced. I was using too much water to mix my TD and that was where my issue was.

Misschief

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Here's an excellent article on Glycerine Rivers: Glycerine Rivers: Secret Revealed

Personally, I have a couple of soaps that always have glycerine rivers and I like it that way. Both use Titanium Dioxide, which can also contribute to the look. I really like the look of the soaps with glycerine rivers and yours looks really nice.

AndyRoo

Reaction score
Here's an excellent article on Glycerine Rivers: Glycerine Rivers: Secret Revealed

Personally, I have a couple of soaps that always have glycerine rivers and I like it that way. Both use Titanium Dioxide, which can also contribute to the look. I really like the look of the soaps with glycerine rivers and yours looks really nice.
Awww, thank you. I personally don't like them (obviously) - there's something about them that makes me think of scrambled eggs, but I'm not sure why.

Nice on toast - but not so nice to wash yourself with. lol

AndyRoo

Reaction score
"...Usually I would make soap at around 22-24 degrees, but the other day it was probably about 30 - could that be the culprit? ..."

You've answered your own question. ;)
Really? That was a shot in the dark, I didn't realise the temperature could affect the soap that way. I wonder how in the hell they make soap in countries where it's 40 degrees all summer...? :/ lol

AndyRoo

Reaction score
There are Soapers who love the look of glycerin rivers and actually try to achieve them. I have come to embrace them when they happen however I have been able to avoid them pretty much as I’ve gotten more experienced. I was using too much water to mix my TD and that was where my issue was.
Thanks. I did use TD to lighten one of the pink colours, but I probably only mixed 1 teaspoon TD with 1 teaspoon water.

Zing

Reaction score
I too got glycerin rivers one time as a surprise. Whenever I use TD now, I soap at a low temp, high 90s/low 100s F. I also use less water. I'm away from my notes at home but I'll get the ratio to you. Ever since I've done these 2 things, I have successfully avoided glycerin rivers.

Soaping for me is a lesson in letting go of expectations which is easier said than done. Now when I get any unexpected result I call it "rustic." I did give a friend my soap with glycerin rivers and he said he was impressed with my texture -- I said, yeah, totally planned that, takes a lot of skill....:) Your soap is very attractive, great colors.