Undiluted Essential Oils Can Be Nasty

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kdm

Reaction score
I have some Grapefruit Oil.
I read with interest your advice on dilution rates for soaps.
I read with care the manufacturer's dilution rates for IFRA Class 9A (soaps) dilution (unrestricted).
I read with care the manufacturer's dilution rates for IFRA Class 3A,B,C (shaving type products) dilution (4%).

Thank heavens I read. I spilled a few drops on my weighing scales and look at the pitting it left behind. This stuff's nasty on certain organics!

IMG_0213.JPG

I have some Grapefruit Oil.
I read with interest your advice on dilution rates for soaps.
I read with care the manufacturer's dilution rates for IFRA Class 9A (soaps) dilution (unrestricted).
I read with care the manufacturer's dilution rates for IFRA Class 3A,B,C (shaving type products) dilution (4%).

Thank heavens I read. I spilled a few drops on my weighing scales and look at the pitting it left behind. This stuff's nasty on certain organics!

View attachment 61310
Essential oils can also burn througth some plastics like acetone can. I accidentally ruined the bottom of a fridge when a bottle spilt over.

Yes, I spilled an EO onto my first small jewelry scale & it killed it; never to work again. Obviously I take greater care not to spill EOs anymore. Oh, before that, I had dropped a drop onto the vinyl table cloth atop my worktable - it ate right through it. That's when I moved to my kitchen counter for weighing Essential oils..

I just realised that the pattern is the knurled base from the ramakin I was using to dilute the oil! Some must've run down the side. Glad I use glassware...

Back