Underarms...

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tabitha

Reaction score
Odd question here:

A customer has just emailed me to ask if I knew why her underarms might be darkening. They peel when she scrubs under them w/ a louffa. I have no idea. Has anyone encountered this before?

That could be dirt. LOL If she uses a sugar or salt to scrub once a week it may go away.

My bf has darker underarms and he's ALWAYS got deo on.
He'll shower, and the FIRST thing he'll do is put deo on.
I keep telling him YOUR SKIN NEEDS TO BREATHE!!!!!!!!

But, I don't think there is a medical reason for this.
You just need to wash properly, wax or shave regularily, and maybe use some antibacterial soaps, or something with lemon in it to wash.. maybe a whitening cream?

Google didn't turn up much else.

My mom has dark underarms too.. I never really thought it was a problem, probably because she always has.. not like it GOT darker over time.... human quirk?

She thinks this has just started hapening since she had been buying my deo. the ingredients are:

INGREDIENTS: Soybean Oil, Beeswax, Sunflower Oil, Baking Soda Cocoa Butter, Shea Butter, Vitamin E, fragrance

Baking soda is an exfoliant. I sell lots of deo & no one has ever mentioned this before.

Does she have an allergy to frangrance?
Or maybe she has sensitive skin under her arms and the pores are getting clogged more than the average person?

Hmm....

Does she wear dark clothing? It could be the baking soda absorbing dye from her clothes and then peeling off?

I was thinking, since the butters & oils act much like a lipbalm, that dirt & lint were sticking to her & then rolling of when she scrubs.

Does she wax or shave? Waxing might cause this, so she can just rub a lemon on her skin after shes waxed.

It's a deo stick but not an anti-perspirant, so there is naturally going to be some moisture. I'm guessing Tab's product is very mild compared to the store brand she was using before, as it contains no alcohol or harsh chemicals to strip off skin cells. If I had to guess I'd say it's a combination of sweat, sebum, and skin cells which would certainly account for the area looking darker.

deo

I know this is really late but if i use dove deo i have a similar problem.. but its an allergic reaction. if it itches she needs to stop using it immeditly and get some anti-itch cream. I get it bad out here in iraq to.. it really bites :cry: and it's annoying

What is in it that you're allergic to? I use Dove.
I get itchy too, but I figured that was from shaving and the hair growing back...... my skin isn't darkening at all.

And its not SUPER itchy... just a little tickly

Well, we still do not know what or why on this one.

No, it is not an allergy, there is no itch or burning. She does not wax & she does not use a tanning bed.

She says a friend of hers bought a baking soda deo from another source & had the same darkening & peeling thing.

Not sure about this one. I have probably 50 regular deo buyers that buy 3 or 4 every few months & this is a first.

Hmm... strange..
well, is the SKIN actually darkening? or is it the deo that's turning dark and flaking off?

Hm.. I wanna try your Deo..... :wink:

well, is the SKIN actually darkening? or is it the deo that's turning dark and flaking off?
I am thinking the later. Without examining the skin upclose I will never know. She does not know eiether. I suggested the later & she did not really address that detail.

interesting...

This is VERY strange.. how interesting to.. hm I'm not very sure what i'm allergic to in it.. but it's the same thing that is in the Adidas Deo to.. I can only use Secret lmao I also have sensitive skin so I have to be careful with what I use.. it really bites b/c I have oily skin on my face but my legs get really dry..

Not sure if it's the same thing but it certainly sounds like it... my husband sweats quite badly, he chaffes alot in areas that don't get much breathing space eg under/around the armpits and between the inside tops of the theighs, he's a big fella so the chaffing can be quite severe, if your customer has gained weight around the upper arm area around the same time she started purchasing your deoderant or if she isn't allowing that area to breath too well then I would bet that's the problem not your deoderant,
actually come to think of it, i'm a little skinny minnie and I got skin discolouration about a month ago, I remember it because I had never had it before, same place as my husband, inside top theigh area, I've been wearing jeans quite alot whilst working out doors, mmm just a thought.

If its dark looking "stuff" on the luffa after she scrubs it may just be skin. I do massage and sometimes when i get folk with dry skin that don't exfoliate regularly they start to slough while i am massaging. So, if i use a cream and it starts to soak in too much you can actually look down and see (and feel) little dark skin blobs that have sloughed off. did she just start luffa-ing her underarms when she started using your deodorant? or has she always done it?

Latest posts

Back