Uncooperative Soap Molds

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hello!
I'm fairly new to soap making, but have been pleased with most all of my bar soap.
However, one HUGE problem seems to be the molds, especially Milky Way Molds.
I've slipped them in the freezer and then briefly set them in warm water.
No luck.
I've hit, banged, and dropped them with a bit of luck, but not enough to warrant giving them as gifts.
Any suggestions would really help!

Thanks,
d

It depends on your recipe. Too many soft oils and your soap will have a hard time coming out. Have you tried sodium lactate?

Irena

I agree with Tab, what type of soap are you making? If its MP you can use a releasing agent spray before you put the soap in the container.

If it is M&P or CP, if you rub a light film of mineral oil on the mold, that will work. Mineral oil will not saponify and will release the soap from the mold, and it's inexpensive!

Paul.... :wink:

Thank you all for the replies.

For the most part, I'm using Susan Cavitch's Essensial C.P. recipes.

Vaseline or mineral oil may work, but I was worried about leaving a film on the soap. I have both on hand.
I considered wiping the mold with olive oil, since there is a considerable amount of it in the soap.
I'm not sure what sodium lactate is. I assume it has something to do with milk????
I'm a fan of bar soap, but holidays are coming and I would love to do something special for friends and a charity where I live. Silicone molds look like "the thing", but gads, it would cost a fortune to have enough for a batch.

I would be happy to change the recipe if you think it would help.
......and thank you so much for your help!!!
Donna

Latest posts

Back