Uncommon Saponified Oils

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I usually use my nose when it comes to rancidity, it might be better to buy small batches of grapeseed oil to make the soap and to use quickly once cured. I had a quick google and couldn't find anyone that mentioned using it as a one oil soap.
I offered to make it. :)
Post # 24
I've had a few customer requests that I've made for people along the way. For example, I made 100% almond oil (liquid) shampoo that turned out better than expected! Quite nice, actually, and had good, if not copious, lather. I imagine I could try the same with grapeseed oil, which by the way, I'm also quite fond of... I use it in lotions and I cook with it daily. :thumbs:

@coconutoliveallergyp I absolutely love rose hydrosol, I use it as a cleanser/toner for my face. Yes, soap making is rather scary when you first start, but it can be addictive. I usually use my nose when it comes to rancidity, it might be better to buy small batches of grapeseed oil to make the soap and to use quickly once cured. I had a quick google and couldn't find anyone that mentioned using it as a one oil soap. Have you tried rice bran oil? Lovin soap studio made a one oil soap out of it, didn't sound too bad.
Here's a page detailing lots of single oil soaps, and grapeseed oil and rice bran oil soaps are both there. Rice bran oil makes a great soap, and grapeseed oil makes a terrible soap, apparently.

http://www.zensoaps.com/singleoil.htm

ImpKit: Is this the correct Royalty Vids?
Do you know of any good videos that discuss superfat?

Aromasuzie: Rice bran oil's a bit drying to my skin and hair too. But I am curious about Lovin Soap Studio maybe they have other tutorials that would work for me. Is that on YT as well?
And I don't have an ethical problem with tallow or lard at all but I've used one called Grandma's Lye Soap which gave me an allergic reaction, and I've bought a few lard soaps from homemade sellers on Etsy and those didn't work out either. From charts I see that lard and tallow are high in those fats my skin doesn't like such as oleic acid, the monosaturated and saturated fat so that kind of explains it.

ImpKit: Is this the correct Royalty Vids?
Do you know of any good videos that discuss superfat?

Aromasuzie: Rice bran oil's a bit drying to my skin and hair too. But I am curious about Lovin Soap Studio maybe they have other tutorials that would work for me. Is that on YT as well?
And I don't have an ethical problem with tallow or lard at all but I've used one called Grandma's Lye Soap which gave me an allergic reaction, and I've bought a few lard soaps from homemade sellers on Etsy and those didn't work out either. From charts I see that lard and tallow are high in those fats my skin doesn't like such as oleic acid, the monosaturated and saturated fat so that kind of explains it.

Yes that's the correct channel and playlist. I would skip the first two videos (how to line soap molds and embeds) on the playlist and start at "Everything You Need to Make Cold Process Soap".

I don't know any that discuss superfat in detail. Maybe check out Brambleberry and Soapqueen.

Cmzaha: I've been hearing that lately that shea butter has latex but I'm not sure that explains my allergy because I've blown up rubber balloons and wear latex gloves for cleaning... so I'm thinking it's the fact that shea butter comes from a nut as opposed to a seed like some oils. And I am allergic to nuts, esp peanuts.
Thanks for addressing the skin-crawling problem, you help confirm that it's an oleic acid issue which I only just realized my skin doesn't like. An article I read stated that some people have lower amounts of in linoleic acid in their sebum and an overproduction of oleic. So if they layer a high oleic acid oil over skin already high in oleic, they're more prone to breakouts. That seems to describe me.

MGM: You make a good point. I have definitely tried to shower with water only. I've even tried showering with fresh aloe vera only, okra gel only, flax gel, all sorts of stuff that's not soap... But I hate BO. It's not like I smell terrible or that I'm extremely dirty when I don't use soap, it's just you have to get used to your natural BO. And you have to get used to feeling kind of gritty too. but I agree with finding a workaround

Thanks Quanta for that website. It's nice to get an idea of how the soap will look once I begin. And thanks Zany for the grapeseed oil offer, I didn't realize you were offering to make it for me. Would that be liquid or bar?

Here's a page detailing lots of single oil soaps, and grapeseed oil and rice bran oil soaps are both there. Rice bran oil makes a great soap, and grapeseed oil makes a terrible soap, apparently.
FWIW, The date of the swap is April 15, 2003 -- the same year I made my first soap. I question the validity of the results as they apply today. Much has changed since then. To my mind at least, the results, while interesting, have little value to the way we make soap currently. So as not to Hijack @coconutoliveallergyp 's thread, I will start a new thread so please save any response for later.
thanks Zany for the grapeseed oil offer, I didn't realize you were offering to make it for me. Would that be liquid or bar?
Liquid.

@coconutoliveallergyp did you try the rice flour and rose water? I understand what you're saying about not feeling totally clean just using water. That's why I like the flours for cleansing, you get that scrubby feeling, which can be adjusted by the coarseness of the flour. If you react with rice flour, there's are others you can try. I've even used chickpea flour but it still retains a scent I wasn't particularly keen on. It might be a good adjunct until you find the soap that works for you.

I do want and am learning how to make my own soap. It's just that it takes time before the whole process is complete. ... It's not like once I start making it that's the end of my problems. ... So I'm still trying to see if I can find the easy way out before I fully commit to soapmaking.
Ok what are your prices. well just inbox me them
While I could make it for you, I'd like to see you at least try to make it on your own. No time like the present to do that and I think you will be happy with your decision to move forward. The nice thing about liquid soap is that you can start using it right away vs hard bars requiring a 4-6 week cure on average. The main difference between hard bars and liquid soap is the type of lye used.

BASIC BEGINNER LIQUID SOAP - Use this recipe. Sub grapeseed oil for the 70% olive oil, eliminate the coconut oil, use 30% castor oil.

LIQUID SOAPMAKING - WHERE TO START - Also helpful for Beginners just starting out.

You should have almost everything you need in your kitchen, except for a stick blender, safety goggles and gloves. You should be able to find grapeseed oil and castor oil locally. You will need to purchase lye online. Look for Potassium Hydroxide (KOH).

You can also start a new thread if you want, to get recommendations for purchasing KOH and the rest of the things you'll need. ;)

HAPPY SOAPING!!! :tub:

While I could make it for you, I'd like to see you at least try to make it on your own. No time like the present to do that and I think you will be happy with your decision to move forward. The nice thing about liquid soap is that you can start using it right away vs hard bars requiring a 4-6 week cure on average. The main difference between hard bars and liquid soap is the type of lye used.

BASIC BEGINNER LIQUID SOAP - Use this recipe. Sub grapeseed oil for the 70% olive oil, eliminate the coconut oil, use 30% castor oil.

LIQUID SOAPMAKING - WHERE TO START - Also helpful for Beginners just starting out.

You should have almost everything you need in your kitchen, except for a stick blender, safety goggles and gloves. You should be able to find grapeseed oil and castor oil locally. You will need to purchase lye online. Look for Potassium Hydroxide (KOH).

You can also start a new thread if you want, to get recommendations for purchasing KOH and the rest of the things you'll need. ;)

HAPPY SOAPING!!! :tub:
Question, and I can search the forum later if I need to, but is there a viable option for cold process liquid soap making? I do NOT have space to store a pot (stove top or crock) dedicated to soap making. But I would be curious to try liquid soap making.

Question, and I can search the forum later if I need to, but is there a viable option for cold process liquid soap making? I do NOT have space to store a pot (stove top or crock) dedicated to soap making. But I would be curious to try liquid soap making.
The short answer is yes! There's a thread on pale coloured LS iirc which should be a good place to start searching.

is there a viable option for cold process liquid soap making?
Yes! The brief answer is, Bring to hard trace and stop there. Let sit for 1 - 2 weeks (or longer) as it continues to reach full saponification. IME and IMHO it is the best way for Noobs to have a satisfying first experience making LS.

I don't always HP to make it. But, with CP, it is important to watch your temps for the best result:

Make lye solution:
Water : Lye Ratio - type in 3:1
Super Fat: - 0%
Set in sink to cool to 140°F (60°C)

LS SET UP.png

Weigh 16 oz. oils into 4-cup Pyrex (or microwave safe container of choice). Nuke 2:40 minutes @ high to 160°F (71°C). Add vitamin E and ROE (Antioxidants. Optional.). Stir. Set on preheated warmer plate.

LS traces slower than hard bars. Allow 12 - 45 minutes depending on oils used.

Once oils and lye are combined, keep temps at 160°F (71°C) while bringing to trace.
Continue to SB on and off until you reach hard trace.

At that point, I cover and let the batch set for a week. I sometimes put it in a ZipLoc in the laundry room.

Your favorite NaOH recipe may not transfer favorably to LS. For formulating:

WHAT TO EXPECT FROM VARIOUS OILS IN LS

DILUTION RATES

There you have it!

HAPPY LS-ING! :computerbath:

ETA: It seems @Tara_H and I were posting at the same time. 😁

Last edited:
Ooh that's a bit involved and looks like it still needs SOME heat (that warmer plate), albeit not the same as a HP crock pot requirement. I'm bookmarking this for a future experiment when I have fewer projects though!

Latest posts

Back