Ultramarine colors

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
G

Does anyone use ultramarine colors in their MP soaps?

If so, can i get some feedback on your experience?

And who is a good supplier?

Hi,
They make great colors and are cheap, but I quit using them because more than not I would have soap that had suds that were the color of the ultramarine. It is very easy (in my opinion to use too much and have color everywhere when you use the soap).

I get good results with them. I've used the blue, pink and purple from WSP and MMS. I buy my color in powder and mix it up a little at time.

Deda,
Do you mix yours with Oils? What kind of ratio do you use or is it a pinch until you get the desired color?
Thanks,
Jeff

I haven't as yet used ultramarines in MP however I have been watching this topic to see your answers (thanks oceanmember for posting!) and will try a small test batch in the next few days and give feedback......so if you would like to wait for my results, please feel free :wink:

Tanya :)

There is more detailed instructions for using oxides in MP here:

http://soap-queen.blogspot.com/2008/08/ ... oxide.html

But, in a nutshell:

Before you add the powder to your soap base, you need to dilute it. This is my favorite way:

1. First, take a little cup and spray a few squirts of rubbing alcohol inside.
2. Then take a little scoop of pigment (a little goes a long way) and stir until all lumps are dissolved.
3. You can then add it to your soap base.

I like using alcohol over oil for melt and pour soap. It mixes in better into my MP soap.

perfectsoap said:
Deda,
Do you mix yours with Oils? What kind of ratio do you use or is it a pinch until you get the desired color?
Thanks,
Jeff

I like to mix with glycerin and add to the oil before I add lye, that way I can blend the bejeezers out of it and end up with no speckles.

No ratio - I don't have a scale that could possibly measure the tiny pinch I use in a batch of soap, less than a 1/8 tsp for an average 4lb batch. Since I add before the lye if I need more I'm not racing the clock and if I need more it only takes a sec to mix and add.

Latest posts

Back