Ultimate Slow Trace Recipe

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I might have just stumbled on the ultimate slow trace recipe, while playing around with using full puree for liquid and a high animal fat soap. Have a customer that wants a full animal fat soap. This took forever to trace, I mean you could probably mix 10 colors and still have time for an intricate swirl. The color is gorgeous will see what it does after gel. With such high animal fat and low temp I decided to force get with this one. The puree was frozen. Will be trying this recipe with other purees, milks and plain water to see it acts the same with all, or if the papaya contributed to slowing trace

Percentages were
60% Tallow
15% Chicken Fat
15% Lard
5% CO
5% Castor
3% superfat
34% lye concentration
1.7 oz sweet orange eo
.5 patchouli eo

Have you used chicken fat before? I've never seen that used! Interesting

Huh, Ill be interested to hear what you think of that chicken fat addition.

Just cut it and I knew I should have cut it last night after it cooled down some. With all the tallow is is a rock and chipped some on the bottom edge of some of the slices. Could not help myself and tried the sample slice I get from each batch and it lathers like a champ, not saying the chicken fat added anything but who knows. Thinking I will do a tiny batch of 100% chickie fat and see what it does, if I have enough left in the freezer

I bet that bar will be lovely! I can imagine it was very hard when you cut it.

The only worry with chicken fat is that it is a bit high in linoleic/linolenic fatty acids. I made a batch with duck fat (not the same but similar enough) once with 70% with the rest lard, coconut and mango butter and it went DOS within a matter of 2 months. I doubt that will happen to this batch at only 15% but you'll probably want to closely monitor the 100% one you're planning to make!

I bet that bar will be lovely! I can imagine it was very hard when you cut it.

The only worry with chicken fat is that it is a bit high in linoleic/linolenic fatty acids. I made a batch with duck fat (not the same but similar enough) once with 70% with the rest lard, coconut and mango butter and it went DOS within a matter of 2 months. I doubt that will happen to this batch at only 15% but you'll probably want to closely monitor the 100% one you're planning to make!
That is why I am going to make a tiny batch with 100% and see what it does. This was only a 7 bar batch so no big loss. I just tried the recipe again with 10% chicken fat, Tallow at 55%, with a 2% superfat to see what it does using strawberry puree. This batch was still very slow to trace, 15 min with at least half the time using a sb and using a known accelerating fo. Linoleic/linolenic is only 7% combined so that is pretty much a safe range

LOL, I am one of few that have dos problems with Lard and no dos problems with Canola, not high oleic canola either. Go figure

LOL, I am one of few that have dos problems with Lard and no dos problems with Canola, not high oleic canola either. Go figure

I figure it's impurities. F'rinstance, blood (iron) causes DOS. Plants don't have blood. Lard is supposed to be reasonably free of non-fat impurities like blood, but what's reasonable for food may not be wholly reasonable for soap.

That is why I am going to make a tiny batch with 100% and see what it does. This was only a 7 bar batch so no big loss. I just tried the recipe again with 10% chicken fat, Tallow at 55%, with a 2% superfat to see what it does using strawberry puree. This batch was still very slow to trace, 15 min with at least half the time using a sb and using a known accelerating fo. Linoleic/linolenic is only 7% combined so that is pretty much a safe range

Sounds like a good idea! And yes, I've read you've had problems with lard although I've never had issues with it (even with lard I've rendered myself). I think it has a lot to do with environment as well. I always get DOS with linoleic/linolenic soaps but I've noticed it gets triggered by humidity it seems. That might be why you don't have as much of an issue in sunny, dry California! I also agree that it may have something to do with impurities. Either way, if it works for you and you like it, thats what matters!

On another note, I adored the lather and skin feel on that duck soap. It was wonderful and conditioning. I really loved it! I bet you'll love the way the soap feels.

Very interesting! I have not tried chicken fat. I have cooked with it -- it's called "Schmaltz" in the Yiddish tradition. (Although I am not.) It's what gives traditional Kosher chicken liver pate its lusciousness.

I have been experimenting with a lard/tallow/butter/lanolin/goats' milk combo with 10% CO that I really like. It's low lathering, even with a touch of castor added. But, oh! it's lovely on dry skin! Sweet Cakes has an FO called New Mown Hay I added. Lovely.

Chicken fat. Hmm.

~HL~

I might have just stumbled on the ultimate slow trace recipe, while playing around with using full puree for liquid and a high animal fat soap. Have a customer that wants a full animal fat soap. This took forever to trace, I mean you could probably mix 10 colors and still have time for an intricate swirl. The color is gorgeous will see what it does after gel. With such high animal fat and low temp I decided to force get with this one. The puree was frozen. Will be trying this recipe with other purees, milks and plain water to see it acts the same with all, or if the papaya contributed to slowing trace

Percentages were
60% Tallow
15% Chicken Fat
15% Lard
5% CO
5% Castor
3% superfat
34% lye concentration
1.7 oz sweet orange eo
.5 patchouli eo
Sweet orange eo is a top note, does mixing it with the patch eo make it stronger or does it help last longer? Was this HP or CP?

Latest posts

Back